Better economy in A-mode?

My Toy

Reaction score
Went to the BSB round at Donington park yesterday and tried a little experiment. Rode in A mode there and B mode coming back. The route was basically all on the M1 and was the same for both journeys. I tried as far as possible to ride at the same speed there and back, meaning 75ish and a bit over 50 in the roadworks. So the average MPG was 64.7 in A mode and 69.3 in B mode! Nearly 70MPG from an 850cc bike at motorway speeds??? I'll double check the real MPG when I top it up cos I know it's likely to be 3 to 4 mpg optimistic but I was curious as to the difference in each mode. The Eco thing was lit most of the time in B even at 80!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

whitenite

Reaction score
I get consistent 60mpg too (22km/liter), pleasantly surprised, it's slightly better than the last Yam I rode with a similar riding position, a Enduro DT125, 32yrs back!

relz

Reaction score
now you are just showing off!
quit driving in 1st gear on the highway:)
lol
I wish it was that simple. I really would like to save some fuel, it's quite pricey around here. I just can't seem to do it :confused:

Every now and then I lower the revs for a minute or two, to try to calm down my ride... and then my adrenaline addiction kicks in and I need to twist that throttle. So I'm mainly riding just about as fast as I can (in the legal limits of course... yadyada).
Recently I've notice I'm looking more and more back and upwards, while I'm riding, looking out for those police choppers :rolleyes:

This bike should come with a health (or drivers license) hazard warning on the box.

Impostor1981

Reaction score
It was the case on my Big Bang R1, better fuel economy in A mode but it was only for the reason that in B mode I had to stay high in the revs to get the same response as in A mode. A mode just crack the throttle and bike was flying.
Not sure about MT but will check that out

Mtpete

Reaction score
Always ride in A mode get 200km before fuel light most of the time, and that's riding pretty hard.

flydnb

Reaction score
I don't even look or know how much I am using as I really don't give a shit , if I was buying a bike for fuel economy I would have bought a Honda nc750 or a 250 single trail bike , if it was only 25 mpg I wouldn't care as im having so much fun .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't even look or know how much I am using as I really don't give a shit , if I was buying a bike for fuel economy I would have bought a Honda nc750 or a 250 single trail bike , if it was only 25 mpg I wouldn't care as im having so much fun .
Fcuk yeah lol ;)

Jay Cee

Reaction score
I find this too I get 50-54mpg when I'm a good boy with the right hand

hodge555

Reaction score
AB-STD economy

I got my MT09 in Jan (stock Tracker ABS) and since the weather was poor and on a new bike etc I started off on B mode mostly and was getting about 48.5mpg (UK).

I soon started to use STD mode more and noticed the economy average getting better, which I thought was odd as I'd expected it to get worse.

I'm now at 2200 miles and I ride nearly all the time in A mode, doing the same 10mile commute to work and back, and it's now crept up to 53.6mpg.

So I can backup the unexpected claim that A mode is the most fuel efficient.

Hodge
MT09, tuned R1-2007 (not the best commuter bike :) )

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Interesting. I only use STD and A. Only once have I noticed that a weekend hoon in A-mode used fuel noticeably more than the weekly commute in STD, but mpg is not important to me.

chump

Reaction score
it could also be that fuel economy improves as the engine wears in. less mechanical resistance = more efficiency.

hodge555

Reaction score
Or maybe that for a given throttle opening you use a set amount of fuel and in A mode you get more power at this opening.
Thus when "normal" riding you actually open the throttle less for the same performance in A mode, thus it's more efficient?

hodge555

Reaction score
I guess what I'm getting at is that, and I say this without any particular knowledge one way or another, it seems like Yamaha have kept the fuel map consistent between modes and then progressively retarded the ignition maps in STD and B modes to soften the delivery. Hence simple to achieve, if a bit crude, but it meets the brief.

I'm just saying this as an observation.

I agree too that I didn't particularly buy this bike for fuel economy either, even though I got it to commute on.
If I was that bothered then I'd have bought the cheaper MT-07, or even a moped!

Hodge

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I'm definate that the clocks are totally inacurate...

If i go for a long ride, so not being throttle happy, I have hit 63.5mpg, thats cruising, no harsh accelerating, riding like it wasn't stolen.. Nothing... So based on that i should get 190 miles to the tank.... 100 miles and my arse is twitching, praying for a fooking garage round the next corner...

The clocks LIE....