Dealer ecu flash

jasonk

Reaction score
[MENTION=1004]MTrider[/MENTION], my dealer received two files, which he referred to as "colour codes" - distinctly different and incompatible maps. I don't see an immediate reason why they should be different...beyond production runs in the ECU internals. The dealer should have a spreadsheet with bike VIN and codes for reference. (used for recalls etc too) I still maintain that he needs to request the correct map for your bike's VIN.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Simple answer....
He is bullshitting u....!
They have the remap for all of the bikes at Yamaha and all the dealer has to do is request the map for that model...! Be it abs or none abs or 2014 or 2013.....!

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Hi there,
I´ve bought a MT-09 this month, but still haven´t had the chance to ride it, (it´s in the dealer)

How can I know, without testing it, if it has the old or new map?
Assuming its a new bike, then it should have the latest flash out of factory, I believe that when they launched this new flash it was optional, and not a recall as there was no going back.. But all 09's would have this new one.

Mines ABS, bought in June, was flashed back in September, I noticed the difference straight away....

MTrider

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It seems like it all comes down to the police of a Scandinavian importer, or perhaps a misunderstanding at the dealer I spoke to. I'll let it rest for a couple of monts, and then try again. Bike's located in my livingroom anyway, till temperatures rise above what's measured outside a polarbear, and the roads are free from salt!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Don't worry MTrider, you are not the only one who hash't done the ecu remap update.
Allthough i had riden a test-ride bike with the remap, i didn't find it so much different than mine.
For now, the DNA filter and injection bodies equalization have helped me to reduce the snatchyness.
I thought that my mixture (A/F ratio) has been reacher but according KevXTX's dyno diagram the A/F becomes more lean, but in real riding conditions it seems/feels such as it is reacher than with stock filter.
Yamaha says that snachiness is different from one bike to another.
You must do it only if you don't like your bikes behaviour, wait untill you'll ride it in spring and get your decision later.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
[MENTION=245]motorcycleboy[/MENTION] what did you mean by equalising the injection bodies? Were you referring to the CO Adjustment at value=14?
If you read the manual, at page 6-3 (periodic maintenance & adjustment) then you see that fuel injection system needs adjust synchronization at first 1000km(600mi) and every 10.000km(6000miles).
This can be done by mechanic at service day..
CO adjustment is another story, not so neccesary as the above...!

RBC

Reaction score
If you read the manual, at page 6-3 (periodic maintenance & adjustment) then you see that fuel injection system needs adjust synchronization at first 1000km(600mi) and every 10.000km(6000miles).
This can be done by mechanic at service day..
CO adjustment is another story, not so neccesary as the above...!
[MENTION=245]motorcycleboy[/MENTION], thank you! Will talk to my service guy.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Called my local Yamaha dealer enquiring about a 12 month service, headlight recall, cam chain tensioner warranty and the ECU flash...

The dealer again tried to sway me away from the flash stating that instead they have had good results tweaking other parameters in the ECU instead. I asked for a little more info and this is what they said:

"No charge for tweaking ECU .. the CO's can be changed within the existing parameters of the bikes fuelling setup , dependent on how yours runs .The ECU flash just dumbs down the aggressive delivery in all modes ..thus dissipating the gliche @ 2500 rpm in town riding..effective but you also get less punch on A mode !

We have had good results with standard bikes ,& those fitted with the Akrapovic carbon race (still has removable baffle ) have shown best results including more BHP gains... the fly by wire gliche 2-3 gear 2500 rpm is almost entirely gone, we think it's down to the difference in the flow of the headers and pipework.

Hope this helps to give you an idea of your options to improve the bikes characteristic power delivery ."

This dealer seems to have a different thought process regarding where the twitchy throttle is coming from, So I'm going to try that first before committing to the dealer ECU "fix". Worth a shot I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
Called my local Yamaha dealer enquiring about a 12 month service, headlight recall, cam chain tensioner warranty and the ECU flash...

The dealer again tried to sway me away from the flash stating that instead they have had good results tweaking other parameters in the ECU instead. I asked for a little more info and this is what they said:

"No charge for tweaking ECU .. the CO's can be changed within the existing parameters of the bikes fuelling setup , dependent on how yours runs .The ECU flash just dumbs down the aggressive delivery in all modes ..thus dissipating the gliche @ 2500 rpm in town riding..effective but you also get less punch on A mode !

We have had good results with standard bikes ,& those fitted with the Akrapovic carbon race (still has removable baffle ) have shown best results including more BHP gains... the fly by wire gliche 2-3 gear 2500 rpm is almost entirely gone, we think it's down to the difference in the flow of the headers and pipework.

Hope this helps to give you an idea of your options to improve the bikes characteristic power delivery ."

This dealer seems to have a different thought process regarding where the twitchy throttle is coming from, So I'm going to try that first before committing to the dealer ECU "fix". Worth a shot I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone
interesting mate.

RBC

Reaction score
This is worth some discussion w. my service guy. Some more detail will be appreciated. Thanks,

Last edited:

mudrock

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone

I agreed with the above post,
I still haven't had mind done, and after testing the Tracer, I am glad I didn't, but ive have fitted kevxt o2 controller , which has sorted the bike nicely,.
cheers Kev

RipGroove

Reaction score
I agreed with the above post,
I still haven't had mind done, and after testing the Tracer, I am glad I didn't, but ive have fitted kevxt o2 controller , which has sorted the bike nicely,.
cheers Kev
I have actually fitted Kevs 02 mod but haven't ridden it yet so maybe that's all I need then.

Sent from my iPhone

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I have actually fitted Kevs 02 mod but haven't ridden it yet so maybe that's all I need then.
I've had mine dealer flashed, did find it better, but have also ordered kevs O2 mod, have a Akra titanium to fit, so will see what difference there is afterwards as fitting all at same time..

Colton123

Reaction score
Let me know smurf how u get on I have the akra titanium and will get kevs O2 mod if it will improve my bike

Crazytown

Reaction score
The following is of my experience of the Yamaha remap.

Bike has an Akra fitted.
Location is Singapore by the way. Bike = 6K KMs.

Mode STD = Far better than before, not as mad off the line and more of a smooth delivery. The response when cruising in higher gears on closed to slightly open throttle is much better. Not jerky or "on/off" like before.

Mode A = OMG- what have they done. What was a manic ride from a standstill has been replaced with something really frustrating. Really flat up to 4,000 then it takes off, the slow start encourages clutch slip but the bang at 4K revs is really off putting and has the effect of the clutch grabbing. Not good.
What were they thinking?

Mode B = don't know as I never use it.

Why couldn't they have separated the modes STD and A better. In my view A mode was great for those times when the red mist descended. I do admit STD mode is far better.
I have also noticed a worse fuel consumption after the Yamaha remap.

Given the choice now, I would have left the bike as it was from the factory. Unfortunately, we are told there is no way back.

Would a Power Commander sort it out?