Fitted my ECUWEST flashed ECU

TIM80

Reaction score
Received back my ECU yesterday from ECUWEST and installed it .Unfortunately the afternoon storm beat me to the punch and I was unable to give it a test ride . I did start it and the bike started instantly and settled into a nice throaty idle. Today I when for a quick spin and it was also a opportunity to check out my new carbon Akra exhaust . I can report there is a lot less snatchy throttle . There seems to be more urgency especially above 4000 rpm . The bike seems to run cooler . the Akra carbon pipe sounds great with the db killer out .There is some popping from the exhaust during decel but most of that can be elimanated with a bit of throttle. I will be doing a longer ride tomorrow up to to my favorite mountain with twisties and can report further. All in all I am very happy with the Ecu flash , For those people in Aus ECUWEST has a special for the month of October for the MT-09 flash for 345 dollars and that is a saving of 150 dollars.

Last edited:

stunva

Reaction score
They put mine in the post this arvo, I hope I see it for the weekend.
Got mine for $300. Cost me $65 to send it there though, no way was I sending it uninsured.
I'll also post a post ride rave once it's in.

stunva

Reaction score
What they said would happen:

Improve Fuel & Ignition Maps
Eliminate Factory Throttle Restrictions
Optimise Throttle Maps
Eliminate Timing Retards
Increase Rev Limit
Remove Factory Top Speed Limiter
Eliminate Factory Fuel Cut/Optimise Off-Throttle (Decel) Mapping ECUWEST performance tune files are tested and tuned for maximum power, performance and ride-ability

Yes, start up default is B mode now - this is just a function of tuning and doesn't seem to bother the guys.
“B”Mode, will be a little smoother (works well for you in the wet) You will not get an engine error if AIS pump is disconnected and removed.
“STD” Mode, Much smoother very predictable throttle response, no throttle snatch and no excessive engine braking as before.
“A” Mode is much smoother, engine braking is now predictable making for better lap times - most guys use this on the street when dry.

What I reckon:
"B" Mode is plush, yes it's got no guts but it's silky smooth, no decel snatch or surge on slight decel while feathering the throttle.......but basically boring.
"STD" Mode, this is my favourite, I still feels it delivers the power better than A mode, the lack of retard in the lower gears is noticeable, you thought you had wheelies easy before. There is no surge or engine break that is bothersome under 5krpm but above that it is still evident and a little annoying, not that happy with this on decel as it does tend to unsettle the bike if going through twisties stacked one after an other. Much better than before but could still use more fuel on the decel side of the map.
"A" mode, it feels more responsive than "STD" mode but I honestly feel "S" is faster. Not sure about up top though, will test this on a track day in Dec.
Someone I know can confirm it pulls through the old speed limiter in 5th without a care in the world.

So in a nut shell it's made it a great commuter, better tourer and probably a better track bike but I'm not convinced the map on decel above 5-6krpm is perfected. If I was to head to the tight stuff, which I will in a week or two, I'd probably just try ringing it's neck in "B" mode until I got bored.

I also put some steel lines on the front and repadded the seat, both of these mods while the ECU was away were also well worth the money.

Last edited:

Rick01

Reaction score
Hi Tim new to for forum like the sound of the updated ECUWEST are you still happy with the mod and where are they available?
I'm a mature age rider and having some trouble with the snachey throttle and don't like the sound of the Yamaha software upgrade as it is not reversible.
Cheers Rick

stunva

Reaction score

TIM80

Reaction score
Hi Tim new to for forum like the sound of the updated ECUWEST are you still happy with the mod and where are they available?
I'm a mature age rider and having some trouble with the snachey throttle and don't like the sound of the Yamaha software upgrade as it is not reversible.
Cheers Rick
I am very happy with the ECU flash . there is still a hint of snatchy throttle in 'A' mode but was never been a major concern to me. I have a Akra Carbon exhaust fitted and it does pop quite a bit on decel even after the flash. Im presently waiting for a set of block off plates so I can remove the AIS which should get rid of the decel popping. I removed the ECU myself and posted it to ECUWEST in Perth. They have a web site.

Rick01

Reaction score
Hi Tim thanks for the reply I have spoken to my dino tuner and he thinks that he may be able to reduce some of the snacheyness so will take it back to him next week to see what he can do he is not a fan of re-flashing as so far on many bikes adding a flash has not improved any of the bikes other than what can be achieved by adjusting the fueling.
Cheers Rick

jezthomas

Reaction score
Ben Shaw at Extreme Creations in Sydney can reflash the ECU for you now, beats sending it to Perth, much quicker turn around,
Custom Motorcycle Builders, cafe racers, streetfighters bikes, custom made parts, engineering and designs, from Extreme Creations Sydney Australia
The non Yamaha flash will also remove a few more things the factory flash will not, may void the warranty though.
Has anyone used extreme creations for a flash; would be good to hear some good testimonials from people who've had the flash done by them, before i get them to do mine?
I'm not fussed about more power but I'd love the throttle to be smooth.

jezthomas

Reaction score
Ben Shaw at Extreme Creations in Sydney can reflash the ECU for you now, beats sending it to Perth, much quicker turn around,
Custom Motorcycle Builders, cafe racers, streetfighters bikes, custom made parts, engineering and designs, from Extreme Creations Sydney Australia
The non Yamaha flash will also remove a few more things the factory flash will not, may void the warranty though.
Thanks stunva, did they do yours and if so, what were the results, were you happy with the service, would you recommend them? Cheers.

stunva

Reaction score
I get a few bits off Ben and he really knows his stuff. I did not use Ben for mine as I'd done it before he was set up. I will be getting him to redo mine though as I'm not 100% happy with it as it came back to me from someone else.

Ben has built turbo kits for these bikes and knows them inside out, hell he even owns one, can't wait to see what he does with his.