Good riddance MT09,,,, Hello Hayabusa

Peggerz

Reaction score
Well sorry to say I just couldn't get on with the MT09 anymore, I brought a 64 plate with 847 miles on the clock on the 2/6/15 from a local bike shop in very standard trim, that standard the previous owner had left the sticker on the tank and the suspension was still set in bouncy castle mode, so the first thing was to get that suspension stiffened up, this improved the ride no end and enough for road light use, then after 50 miles I just couldn't take the silence anymore and popped a Carbon Akra racing line on it, tweaking the Co's up on thd 3 cylinders as recommended, lastly I put some leversb on and some fork, swinging arm protector bobbins on and that was that,
I managed to do a total of 403 miles on it and have now traded it in for a sports tourer which is a 12 plate Suzuki Hayabusa with 4k on the clock.

Now what's wrong with the MT I here you ask!!!! this is my opinion only, it feels too small for me I like bigger bikes, it feels like it's missing something bigger up front, previous bikes this year of mine was a YZF1000 and a Triumph Speed triple 2011, so that will explain that, yes bigger is heavier blah blah!!

The MT feels cheap, cheaply built, clonky gearbox (until I road the Suzuki home this was far more apparent how bad the MT was, Hayabusa is as smooth as silk you don't even hear a change), gear whine, uncomfortable seat, cheap plastics ie chain guard.
Now the good the engine felt strong and powerful and it's a quick bike ok, there's no denying that fantastic engine, looks the bollox as well, a great looking shape in naked form.

So is there anyone else that couldn't get on with the MT09 also any good Hayabusa forums out there lol

I'll probably get slatted to shit but that's my opinion of a bike I just couldn't get on with. Shit happens on the plus side those Busas have some poke looking for a good remap and a turbo kit :)

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Each to their own....!
I hated the fact that I got soaked to death just going through a little puddle. It is cheaply made though lol

timo5743

Reaction score
Were all different

Well sorry to say I just couldn't get on with the MT09 anymore, I brought a 64 plate with 847 miles on the clock on the 2/6/15 from a local bike shop in very standard trim, that standard the previous owner had left the sticker on the tank and the suspension was still set in bouncy castle mode, so the first thing was to get that suspension stiffened up, this improved the ride no end and enough for road light use, then after 50 miles I just couldn't take the silence anymore and popped a Carbon Akra racing line on it, tweaking the Co's up on thd 3 cylinders as recommended, lastly I put some leversb on and some fork, swinging arm protector bobbins on and that was that,
I managed to do a total of 403 miles on it and have now traded it in for a sports tourer which is a 12 plate Suzuki Hayabusa with 4k on the clock.

Now what's wrong with the MT I here you ask!!!! this is my opinion only, it feels too small for me I like bigger bikes, it feels like it's missing something bigger up front, previous bikes this year of mine was a YZF1000 and a Triumph Speed triple 2011, so that will explain that, yes bigger is heavier blah blah!!

The MT feels cheap, cheaply built, clonky gearbox (until I road the Suzuki home this was far more apparent how bad the MT was, Hayabusa is as smooth as silk you don't even hear a change), gear whine, uncomfortable seat, cheap plastics ie chain guard.
Now the good the engine felt strong and powerful and it's a quick bike ok, there's no denying that fantastic engine, looks the bollox as well, a great looking shape in naked form.

So is there anyone else that couldn't get on with the MT09 also any good Hayabusa forums out there lol

I'll probably get slatted to shit but that's my opinion of a bike I just couldn't get on with. Shit happens on the plus side those Busas have some poke looking for a good remap and a turbo kit :)
If we all liked the same thing life would be boring. I only just got back into biking 2 years ago 955 speed triple for a few months to see if i would enjoy again. Yep wanted to get back on two wheels so traded in for mt-07,15 months later and 5900 miles have traded in for mt-09 great bike love it.Dont think there is a perfect bike but for the money the 09 is worth every penny. Good luck on your Hayabusa mate had one for a while.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Had a go on a friends Hayabusa when they first came out, went up through the gears briskly, looked down at the clock expecting to see about 90 and it was reading 135mph (on a private road of course). Incredible engine and the good thing for me was when I was sitting on the bike I couldn't see it, although over the years the looks have grown on me although I prefer the styling of the original bikes. The back end of the new bike looks like a giant scooter. I'm trading my MT09 in for a Tracer as it feels a little bit more grown up.

CT/

Reaction score

I expected abit more fight off you than that TT as an 09 lover and forum moderator,,,,anyway guys, just thought i,d say, luv my 09 and yes they,ve obviously cut back on certain areas cost wise,,, i mean , yer cant really expect a 7k bike to have Ohlins adjustable suspension and Brembo brakes but stuff like the chain adjuster are not great, but if you wer to spend 2k on mods then at 9 k it would be a cracking machine, but i wouldnt take Peggerz post too heart chaps,,, he swops is bikes more often than his Y fronts, his Busa is his 5th machine in 12mnths, very dangerous indeed . LOL :p

MTom

Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase but i always struggle to see the logic when people compare 7k bike against an 11k bike.

I only bought the MT09 because its cheap fun like a weekend in Vegas and had a warranty to boot.

The Hayabusa is one ugly mofo but i bet its fun to ride.

Cobweb

Reaction score
You can't even compare a Hayabusa with an MT09 they're 2 completely different bikes built for completely different uses, that's like me trying to compare my 999 Ducati to my MT 09 Street Rally.

Have fun on you Busa because it's certainly a weapon

Swagger

Reaction score
I bought my MT purely as a relatively inexpensive lightweight but powerful...ish machine for flicking around locally. If I ever need to do distance or go somewhere significant I use my other bikes. Those Busa's are great tools for making distance at speed. Good choice and normally well priced.

lee1980

Reaction score
I think its a shame with MT they had to cut costs on the suspension, overall its very well spec'd i think for money and so far finish on mine is doing good only dont like the shiny black paint on the swing arm seems to show scratches a lot, the rough finish on frame seems far better.

The triple is deff the best thing about it!

XB12X

Reaction score
I own a Suzuki B-King (generation 2 Busa engine), and would like an MT-09 as my Algarve bike. I'm a Brit living in Portugal, and I think an MT-09 would be the perfect tool for round here. I'd never replace the King with one, though. It's impossible to compare them. My other bike at the moment is a Buell Ulysses. It's a brilliant torque monster, but I know it's going to prove a problem in the future. Spares and lomgterm unreliability. Maybe I'll replace it with an MT. Good idea?

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Worst suspension on a standard new bike I ever bought. I'd ridden 15 year old Honda Blackbirds and VFR's that were more compliant. Shame as the engine is brilliant.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Chaz

Reaction score
Its funny. I rode a BMW R1200RS yesterday. Supposed to be very good and it is. I wouldnt trade my MT 09 on it. If it was the same price, there might be a discussion. Id rather throw £1K at the MT 09 and overall (for what I need) a much better bike. Very little wrong with the MT 09. Keep in mind, Im a serial bike / car buyer. This is my 3rd bike in a year, previous was a BMW S1000R and previous to that was a Ducati Multistrada GT, both very capable bikes and I love the MT 09.