Just had my stock suspension set up professionally...

RipGroove

Reaction score
There are 7 settings in total on the shock.

1 being the softest, 7 being the hardest.

Mine is set to 4

It is set right in the middle so there are 3 empty notches either side of where mine is set to.

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score
Excuse my crappy drawing but here, it doesn't matter which way you count from, the middle setting is number 4. So it is in actual fact, "4 away from full".

It all depends if you start counting at full or you start counting after full, it all depends how you interpret the information so I can see where the confusion lies, thus the picture.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

lee1980

Reaction score
Cool not far off how I have mine is now, how you finding 42 on rear? Which tyres you running? I guess the bike being light to means a lesser pressure required means you get more grip.
When funds allow I planned to goto JHS, do let us know what they suggest!

RipGroove

Reaction score
Cool not far off how I have mine is now, how you finding 42 on rear? Which tyres you running? I guess the bike being light to means a lesser pressure required means you get more grip.
When funds allow I planned to goto JHS, do let us know what they suggest!
It's currently 36 on the rear. And so far it feels pretty good to be honest. They said they'd email some options through on Monday so will let you know. I can almost guarantee that it'll be £800 minimum so I need to do some more riding to see how the bike is currently before spending out.

Sent from my iPhone

lee1980

Reaction score
I have always tended to run a bit less than recommended especially in winter months as it helps no end when its near freezing.
Will try dropping to 36 rear tonight, Im pretty sure at first service my dealer bumped em right up probably more than 36-42 lol!

I guess cheapest would be springs and oil in front, with a rear shock either used as suggested from a ZX 10 or ohlins etc.

and then new front cartridges be interesting to see how much as we know how much the a decent set up costs to buy from Omnia racing.
Would have then fit it to I guess and there experience setting up!

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
They did say actually that labour wouldn't be too much as they can do the fork cartridges on this bike without splitting the forks, and they also reckon they can do the rear shock in 30mins.

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score
They also said no point just doing springs as it's the cartridges that are letting us down.

Sent from my iPhone

lee1980

Reaction score
I see yea just unload the forks and take out old and add new oil and screw back in! I see so not a cheap option then if its the damping letting us down doh!!!
Did they say which ones they would use for front?

RipGroove

Reaction score
The guy mentioned Andreani cartridges and an Ohlins rear shock! Sounds expensive! They were supposed to email me some options today but they haven't yet so I'll contact them tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score

lee1980

Reaction score
Yea same here at moment its to soon to splash that out as just got bike in January to, but know its pretty under damped. can see me doing that next year though.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I also have my rear preload on 4 (std setting) and rebound all the way slow but i'm not so sattisfied yet..
A few hours ago i bought a rear ZX10R shock in very good condition, next step is to open the hole for M12 screw.
I also have to manage the front fork oil change for 10w but i don't know if letting less air chamber (from 145mm to 130mm) will make suffer the gaskets when touch down after wheelling..

Andyc1511

Reaction score
Just got back from having a static suspension setup from JHS Racing Store. Motorcycle performance parts accessories. They clearly know their stuff, I went in with full leathers and gear inc back protector and all and is what they came up with:

Rider weight (full gear): 98KG
Riding style: Fast road
Front rebound: 1/2 turn out from closed
Front preload: 2 rings showing
Rear rebound: 1/4 turn out
Rear preload: 4 off of full
Front tyre pressure: 36psi (cold)
Rear tyre pressure: 36psi (cold)

If you happen to be the same weight as me with full gear then give the above settings a try, if not and you don't live too far from the Bristol/Bath area then give them a call, £34.99 and 30mins work was all it took. FYI I actually only weigh 83KG so my gear weighed in at 15KG.

Obviously they mentioned that we're really pushing the limits here with the crappy stock equipment and they recommend some component upgrades (which we all knew anyway) so they are going to email me some quotes for various options.

The bike did feel great on the way home though so definitely an improvement. I wasn't far off with most of the settings anyway apart from the rear preload, I had this set at 1 off of full which I did because my Akra hit the floor once, so I'm a little concerned that it'll hit again at some point but if it does I'll raise hell with Yamaha as this time the suspension has been setup properly for my weight so they won't have any excuses.

Just for clarification here are some pictures:

Forks...

Rear shock...

Rear shock...

Sent from my iPhone
top tip there mate. I'll certainly give those settings a go. Cheers

Raceblu15

Reaction score
Thanks - works well.. For now

Rider weight (full gear): 98KG
Riding style: Fast road
Front rebound: 1/2 turn out from closed
Front preload: 2 rings showing
Rear rebound: 1/4 turn out
Rear preload: 4 off of full

Just gave these settings a go - forgot to lower the pressures though - massive improvement on my 2015 race blu... Still compliant enough for our dodgy roads but much more feeling from the front.. The back still feels a bit soft but will do for now.

In case anyone was wondering the rebound adjustment on my front fork clicks every 1/4 turn... Apparently some do and some don't so I wonder if yamaha have sneakily changed the internals at some point... Anyway backed it out 2 clicks from fully closed and 2 rings showing for my weight. (Similar to op) works well.

Thanks for posting - now to save up £700 for ohlins/Adrianni bits..

Kinjane

Reaction score
I've been gradually adjusting the front from new and found all I've really been doing is compensating for the stock springs softening with use.
With over 9,000 bumpy UK road miles on the front end, I've increased preload by 10mm yet now only have 2mm less Sag since I first measured it.
Even the back has softened up by almost a notch. Stock setting gave me 36mm of Sag, I increased it by one notch to end up with 33, but now it's settled at 35mm !!!

Running at 41mm sag on front, 35mm rear. checked with 1/2 tank of fuel and warm suspension.
Damping, front full clockwise. Rear 165* anticlockwise.

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
I've been gradually adjusting the front from new and found all I've really been doing is compensating for the stock springs softening with use.
With over 9,000 bumpy UK road miles on the front end, I've increased preload by 10mm yet now only have 2mm less Sag since I first measured it.
Even the back has softened up by almost a notch. Stock setting gave me 36mm of Sag, I increased it by one notch to end up with 33, but now it's settled at 35mm !!!
Wow well that's something else to keep an eye on then!

Sent from my iPhone

derek28862

Reaction score
Yes is the same kit i have ordered lee just got email saying it will be with me in the next couple of days i went direct to the shop instead of through e bay which made it cheaper i can't wait to feel the difference as going touring in july on it and will give full report when i get back

lee1980

Reaction score
Thanks Derek do keep us posted when its installed pics and how you rate it.