Kev's "Anti throttle surge mod"!

kevxtx

Reaction score
I made up some more O2 controller this morning, I have PM all the guys on the waiting list & have sent PayPal invoices to the guys that have given me their Email address.

kevxtx

Reaction score
Hi Kev have you any 02 controllers left or have you sold them all
Made batch 2 today & have O2 controllers in stock again, all I need is an email address & to where I am posting so I can quote the correct postage cost, PM me your details & I will pass on your forum members discount.

relz

Reaction score
This mod sound interesting, but I need to understand it a bit better.

Can someone please explain again, exactly what there is to gain from this mod?

I understand that from a technical perspective it enriches the mixture, for the lower part, which brings it closer to the mixture of the higher part, hence eliminating the step between the two.

But how fires that feel?

I suffered initially from the "snatchy throttle" and was looking for ways to improve it. At first I went with the G2, which made a nice improvement, but it still wasn't perfect. Recently I had the Yamaha reflash done, as and its much better. I can ride very smoothly in all modes now. I even removed the G2 which I feel is unnecessary now.

So what does this mod change, in the feeling of the ride?
Is it really noticeable?

Anyone out here who's done it, on top of the Yamaha re-flash and can comment?

Last edited:

kevxtx

Reaction score
You can get some other riders feedback off this forum: 02 Controller - Page 6

The O2 controller was build around the Yamaha reflashed ECU, but also works with the unflashed 2014 & 2015 flashes as in all 3 versions nothing has changes to the closed loop A/F ratios they all run at 14.7:1 in the closed loop.

Last edited:

lee1980

Reaction score
Has anyone found a full exhaust system makes and difference to snatching/surging? I ask as I have just got mine new with full arrow system baffle still in and it feels ok, in A mode it is a bit brutal but in B mode very controllable rode to work on wet roads lots a slow control etc didnt notice anything untoward.

Mine is a 2014 with standard map have option for reflash if want it.

kevxtx

Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting mine, the STD pipe is a little to quiet but don't want a noisy in your face pipe either. I have only ever seen one on a MT how does the mid range feel after the pipe was installed?.

relz

Reaction score
You can get some other riders feedback off this forum: 02 Controller - Page 6

The O2 controller was build around the Yamaha reflashed ECU, but also works with the unflashed 2014 & 2015 flashes as in all 3 versions nothing has changes to the closed loop A/F ratios they all run at 14.7:1 in the closed loop.
I've looked at the FZ09 forum too, but still it isn't clear to me.
In the one or two reviews that I saw, people mentioned that it improves the lumpy engine. The thing is that I'm not sure what exactly they are describing.

Previously when people were discussing the snatchy throttle or soft suspension I knew exactly what they were talking about because I felt the exact same symptoms that were being described, and decided I want to fix them.

Now I'm just not sure what symptoms this mod addresses....
Sometimes you don't realize something is wrong with your bike, until you ride another bike that is fixed/better.

I'd like to be able to put my finger on the discussed symptom, in order to decide if this is something I want to fix (in which case I'd happily buy your mod) or if it's an issue that doesn't bother me at all.

Any one want to try describe the problem in a bit more detail?

Kinjane

Reaction score
Mine's like a 12 cylinder car running on 11 (under a very light load) but without the rhythmic pattern to the feeling.

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting mine, the STD pipe is a little to quiet but don't want a noisy in your face pipe either. I have only ever seen one on a MT how does the mid range feel after the pipe was installed?.
Mid range is fantastic really. It pulls like a train from the get go

PaulG

Reaction score
I've looked at the FZ09 forum too, but still it isn't clear to me.
In the one or two reviews that I saw, people mentioned that it improves the lumpy engine. The thing is that I'm not sure what exactly they are describing.

Previously when people were discussing the snatchy throttle or soft suspension I knew exactly what they were talking about because I felt the exact same symptoms that were being described, and decided I want to fix them.

Now I'm just not sure what symptoms this mod addresses....
Sometimes you don't realize something is wrong with your bike, until you ride another bike that is fixed/better.

I'd like to be able to put my finger on the discussed symptom, in order to decide if this is something I want to fix (in which case I'd happily buy your mod) or if it's an issue that doesn't bother me at all.

Any one want to try describe the problem in a bit more detail?
I have Kev's controller ( Bugger,I bought it off Ebay ,could have saved $15:mad:) The controller pretty much eliminates the hesitation that occurs at small throttle opening when the ECU switches from the lean closed loop (ECO) mode to the richer open loop map.
All the remaps and tuning devices (dynojet etc.) address open loop fueling and not this specific condition.(with the exception of the Dynojet Optimiser) .
The reason why the closed loop is not addressed is for emissions requirements.
A specific case would be going into a hairpin and accelerating out.The O2 device will make the transition from over run to open throttle much smoother.

Last edited:

relz

Reaction score
I have Kev's controller ( Bugger,I bought it off Ebay ,could have saved $15:mad:) The controller pretty much eliminates the hesitation that occurs at small throttle opening when the ECU switches from the lean closed loop (ECO) mode to the richer open loop map.
All the remaps and tuning devices (dynojet etc.) address open loop fueling and not this specific condition.(with the exception of the Dynojet Optimiser) .
The reason why the closed loop is not addressed is for emissions requirements.
A specific case would be going into a hairpin and accelerating out.The O2 device will make the transition from over run to open throttle much smoother.
Thanks.
Have you had the Yamaha ecu remapping done?
Because with it, the transition is already pretty good. Does it get even better?

PaulG

Reaction score
Thanks.
Have you had the Yamaha ecu remapping done?
Because with it, the transition is already pretty good. Does it get even better?
No, I was quite happy with all other aspects of the throttle response other than the problem I described above.I adjusted the cable slack and that improved the other idiosyncrasies.

relz

Reaction score
No, I was quite happy with all other aspects of the throttle response other than the problem I described above.I adjusted the cable slack and that improved the other idiosyncrasies.
It seems that the Yamaha remap attempts to cure the same phenomena (hairpin transitions), and it does it quite well IMO (and its free too).
Hence my question, if this mod still adds further improvement.

Kev, perhaps you can dig up a review from a customer who added this on top of the Yamaha flash?