Maxton Suspension assessment

TommyM

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just had a reply back from Maxton Suspension after asking them what they could do to improve the MT09 ( copied below ). Its an expensive option but i have used them before, the results are outstanding.
Has anyone used them for the MT already or found a cheaper option? I think i've got as good as i ever will with the standard set up. The springs suit me quite well as i'm on the light side at around 65kg:

FRONT
The front forks on the MT-09 are upside down forks with preload adjustment in both legs but
only rebound damping adjustment in one leg. The forks feel like ‘harsh pogosticks’. Over
small bumps they can kick and make the front end a bit nervous at high speeds, but the
biggest problem with these forks is the lack of rebound damping, this causes the front of the
bike to spring back very quickly when you let go of the brake, making the bike difficult to get
in to a corner and run wide out of corners. The springs in the forks are OK for the average
rider weight.
The damping and springing have been split between the forks, the left leg has a spring inside
but no damping and the right leg has a spring and damping inside. This means that the
damping leg has to have twice as much rebound damping and compression damping to
compensate for the other leg having no damping.
The damping leg can be revalved to try and prevent the forks springing back too quickly, but
when you do this the ride becomes even harsher over small bumps. This means you can not
revalve the damping successfully, so we replace the internal fork cartridges for our GP20 fork
cartridges. The Maxton GP20 fork cartridges have rebound damping and compression
damping in both legs. To reduce the cost of the cartridges we use the standard fork tops, so
this means even though you have rebound damping and compression damping in both legs
the rebound damping is only altered from one leg. The GP20 cartridges are built to order so
we valve and spring them to suit your rider weight and what you are using the bike for. The
damping inside the forks is progressive, this means the first part of the travel is soft and
compliant but the faster and further the forks move the more support and control the forks
have. This means the forks will absorb small bumps in the road but under heavy braking they
have support and also control when you let go of the brake. We fit springs to the GP20
cartridges to suit your rider weight and what you are using the bike for. The cost of the GP20
fork cartridges is £365.00 + V.A.T per pair, the cost of servicing the forks with new fork seals
and fitting the GP20 cartridges is an extra £140.00 + V.A.T per pair.
If you would like adjustable rebound damping in both legs we supply our GP20 fork
cartridges with new Maxton fork tops. These cartridges cost £505.00 + V.A.T per pair and an
extra £140.00 + V.A.T to fit them with new fork seals.

REAR
The standard unit on the MT-09 is very cheap; the unit feels like a ‘pogostick’ as it does not
have enough rebound damping. The spring on the unit is too soft for the average rider
weight. The standard unit is a sealed item so can not be revalved or rebuilt. We could
respring the unit and fit a harder spring but this would only make the rear of the bike more of
a ‘pogostick’.
We recommend replacing the unit with a Maxton NON-remote unit. This unit is basically an
RT10 shock without the remote reservoir. The Maxton unit is an alloy bodied high pressure gas
shock with a floating piston to separate the oil and gas. The unit is adjustable for rebound
damping, compression damping, preload and ride height adjustment. The Maxton unit is
built to order so we valve and spring the shock to suit your rider weight and what you are
using the bike for, we also base set the adjusters at a setting that suits you. The preload
adjustment is very quick and easy to get to. The NR4 Maxton unit costs £425.00 + V.A.T.
If you are using the bike on the track or riding the bike very fast then we would recommend
the GP10 unit, this unit has a remote reservoir with high and low speed compression damping
adjusters. This makes it very quick and easy to change the compression damping and also
gives you a much finer range and wider range on the compression damping adjustment.
We have machined a special bracket to hold the GP10 remote reservoir which fits on the
passenger foot rest mounting point. If you needed to you can still use the passenger foot rest
with the GP10 rear shock. The GP10 rear shock and fitting kit costs £740.00 + V.A.T.
Unfortunately due to the design of the chassis on the MT09 we can not supply an RT10 rear
shock absorber.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Really informative post but what's doing in bike of the month forum [emoji28]

TommyM

Reaction score
Sorry new to the forum, rookie mistake. How do I get it moved?

Jeff William

Reaction score
I got one of the first MT09s in Oct 2013. I found the suspension lacking even though I am not a hooligan by any means (pensioner). I went to Maxton and had fitted front and rear. At first I found it a bit harsh (too firm) as I have injured wrists. Maxton changed the springs front and rear and made some other adjustments at no extra cost. It is now perfect for me inspiring confidence and much better control at all speeds. It is a pleasure to ride. Worth the money for me.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Tommy, just copy and paste it into a new post in a more appropriate place! :)

TommyM

Reaction score
Thanks for the move. Has anyone removed the rear shock? It looks very enclosed. How easy is it to replace?

Kinjane

Reaction score
It can be done in 10 minutes according to one of the posts I've come across somewhere. I'd be lucky to remove the seat in half that amount of time...

It's easy but fiddly. I removed mine in order to obtain the correct chain tension.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Misread the manual ;)

With the shock/s out of the way allowing unhindered movement of the swinging arm it's far easier to align the gearbox shaft, swinging arm bolt and rear spindle to obtain the absolute minimum slack measurement. It only needs doing once :)

Last edited:

Crazytown

Reaction score
I have a Maxton NR4 shock on my MT.

A world better than the poor performing standard shock. No more bouncing down the road and a great range of preload adjustment.

M

MT account

i had the 1st NR4 in thailand and ill be matching up the fronts in a few months time. its improved the bike so much that i dont ride with anyone any more......they cant keep up and i cant be arsed to keep stopping every 200km and waiting 1 hour + for them to catch up.