New MT09 Tracker first ipressions

Tedsshed

Reaction score
I loved the look of this bike when release a few years back nearly bought one then but needed something I could cover some miles on two up, so 18 moths ago I bought a Triumph Tiger XC great bike and still have it 12000 miles later and all ready for its next adventure. Prior to the Tiger I had a KTM 950 SM and to date is probably the most fun bike I've ever owned and I miss it terribly which is why I was attracted to the MT09, I was hoping it could provide a similar riding experience.

I'm only 100 miles into 09 ownership so it is very early days and very cold days at that, first impressions are that the motor is a peach a real cracker I cant wait to use it properly once run in, the build quality is very impressive some nice detail here and there and some very attractive paint finishes. I'm 6' and 16 stone or 100 kg and find it quite comfortable the higher seat on the tracker helps with this, I think its about 2" higher than the standard MT.

However what I find a little disconcerting not to mention disappointing is the handling mainly the front end, its incredibly firm and becomes very unstable over uneven road surfaces during cornering, it really feels as though the front end is going to let go, the Triumph Tiger would ride uneven road surfaces with considerably more confidence, and as for the KTM well that's in another league again.
Now, I know its very early days of ownership and I need to familiarize myself properly with the bike and in almost freezing weather conditions it's impossible to generate any heat into the Bridgstone tyres, I've ordered a pair of Michelin 2CT's which I will fit next week, I will set up the front and rear suspension to suit my rather dainty 100kg and try again.