Post your suspension settings here.

RipGroove

Reaction score
This is probably a bit premature of me as I don't have my MT yet but from what I remember of the test ride I'm going to have to do some setting up. Try as I did I couldn't see the damping screw for the rear shock!! Also, I notice that the damping adjustment is on the right fork leg only. All my recent bikes, Firestorm, CB1300, VFR have had poor damping and soft springing in the front. Rather than spend lots on new springs I have found a reasonable solution has been to put suitable spacers on top of the fork springs, not excessive, about 8mm max so there's no chance of the springs going "coilbound" under braking, and thicker fork oil, usually 15w. However, I have no experience with USD forks, especially where there is no damping screw on the other leg. Has anyone got experience of these forks, the left leg has to have oil in it, right???
The rear shock damping screw can be seen by looking through a small gap in the frame and in my case having to poke some cables out of the way a bit.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just been out on some fast bumpy B-roads with the same settings as you and I'm actually really impressed, almost felt like a different bike! Before it was like a pogo stick and now it feels like its damping infinitely better.

Sent from outer space
I'm glad it worked for u too RG..!

It's so much more fun to ride now don't u think?

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
thats interesting as the hyperpro manual gives recommended sags for different bikes.....
Yes. And you aquire that sag by your weight. In order to get say a recommended 35 mm of sag... my 215 pound body will be a different shock setting on the same bike as another person who is 115 pounds.

You want a certain "measurement" of sag. How you set your bike to achieve that is base on the riders weight. You measure static sag, the bike standing up with you off of it. (Or unladen sag, first.. cant remember which right now) Then you measure how much the shock compresses with you on it in riding position in full gear. Will need someone to hold the bike upright.

That is the measurement you take. Adjust the compression until you reach tbe desired sag. Obviously this will all depend on your weight. If you are too light or too heavy to aquire the desired sag range, you need a softer or firmer spring.

You do this for both front and back. It makes a huge difference and needs to be done before messing with rebound and dampening...

Last edited:
M

MT account

Yes. And you aquire that sag by your weight. In order to get say a recommended 35 mm of sag... my 215 pound body will be a different shock setting on the same bike as another person who is 115 pounds.

You want a certain "measurement" of sag. How you set your bike to achieve that is base on the riders weight. You measure static sag, the bike standing up with you off of it. (Or unladen sag, first.. cant remember which right now) Then you measure how much the shock compresses with you on it in riding position in full gear. Will need someone to hold the bike upright.

That is the measurement you take. Adjust the compression until you reach tbe desired sag. Obviously this will all depend on your weight. If you are too light or too heavy to aquire the desired sag range, you need a softer or firmer spring.

You do this for both front and back. It makes a huge difference and needs to be done before messing with rebound and dampening...
yup. im getting that and on reflection id guess that hyperpros 'recommended sag' settings are based on each spring weight they provide and not based on a random generic spring found on a stock bike?

relz

Reaction score
I'm 1.85 meters, and weigh about 87 kilo.
I've got the rear on full preload (number 7), and rebound damping screwed all the way in.
In the front i think I'd like full preload too (zero rings showing), but after riding like that for a day, i had a feeling that my bike was turning into the turns a bit slower (could be my imagination), so I reduced it to three rings showing.
Rebound is half s turn out from max.

When I've got a chance I might raise the forks a bit in the triple, to compensate for the added height and slow turn in, and then dial it back to full preload on the front...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RipGroove

Reaction score
Anyone know what the recommended sag is for this bike? Or should we just aim for 1/3 of the travel?

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm 1.85 meters, and weigh about 87 kilo.
I've got the rear on full preload (number 7), and rebound damping screwed all the way in.
In the front i think I'd like full preload too (zero rings showing), but after riding like that for a day, i had a feeling that my bike was turning into the turns a bit slower (could be my imagination), so I reduced it to three rings showing.
Rebound is half s turn out from max.

When I've got a chance I might raise the forks a bit in the triple, to compensate for the added height and slow turn in, and then dial it back to full preload on the front...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Seems to me that the settings for our bikes so far suggest that the stock settings are way out...

Chuck

Reaction score
Thanks TT, 3 page thread and only 1 or 2 informative posts. Banter alert !! ;)
105kg/230lb, gonna try your setings, deffo very bouncy in standard trim.

mt09holland

Reaction score
I had a look as well and I have got the exact same settings as Triple, my dealer already set that up when I bought it (I didn't even ask for it as I was unaware of this at the time). Explains why I thought the suspension was ok. I only cranked the rear up from 4 to 6 last week myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Last Friday i did the first service (1000 km) and i realized that my rear suspension had become too soft especially when driving quick in curvy roads.
I' m about 72 kilos and i put the rear shock preload adjuster on 5 (from 4 that was stock) and gave a 1/4 turn to H, to make the compression rebound stiffer..
I have left the front as it is (without preload) for the moment..

stevecbr

Reaction score
I'm about 12 stone (75 kilos)
Rear shock preload on 5, rebound 3/4 turn out from fully in
Front 2 rings showing, rebound 1 turn out
Seems much better, and not to harsh
2014-04-17 17.22.05.jpg

relz

Reaction score
Well today I lowered the triples about 3.5mm down the forks (or raised the forks, depends what direction you're looking from), in order to decrease rake and trail. So now the top triple is about 5mm from the top of the fork tube (not counting the adjuster screws on top of the fork).

I only rode it for a few minutes, on the way home, but the bike already felt like it turns in quicker, which is what I was looking for.
This evening I also released the front preload another ring (now have 4 rings showing), to improve the rake even more, but haven't tested it yet.

If I'm happy with the results over the next couple of days, I think I'll lower the triple another two-three milimeters, and then crank up the preload back towards max. I've got a feeling that the preload + fast turning in is just what I'm looking for.

MT-Pete

Reaction score
Finally got round to playing with my suspension settings today, wound the front preload in until only one notch showing & set the damping 3/4 turn from max, increased the rear preload to 5 & damping to 3/4 from max. I found these settings a lot better but a bit too harsh for my fat 15 stone. But my main gripe really is the tyres (Dunlops). For me they don't inspire much confidence.
Last November a mate & I had a test ride on the demo at our local Yam dealers. We took out 2 bikes (MT & FZ6) & swapped halfway round. I got the MT 2nd & immediately felt at home on it, wanting to push it much harder than I would normally feel comfortable with on a bike that was strange to me. He ended up buying the demo a month later, whereas I waited & got mine in Feb. I saw him the other day, just happened to glance at the tyres - it's fitted with Bridgestones! He's not felt the need to play with the suspension settings at all.
So, before I start shelling out for Maxton this or Ohlins that I'm going to get some decent tyres on the thing & see what it's like then. I shouldn't have to wait too long, the way the rear tyre's wearing! In the meantime I'll continue to muck about with the suspension settings.

billygatso

Reaction score
Finally got my MT on Friday. Set my sag at 30mm rear and 35 front. Rebound is one turn back from max on both front and rear. I am 13 stone and set front preload showing 2 rings and rear on max. Massive improvement on the stock settings which were far too soft and also uneven. Front and back now move at the same rate with no pogoing. Thanks to all who have posted earlier, very useful info.

Locksmith

Reaction score
I went with Triple Troubles settings.
14 stones of me!
Found ok, no bouncing/wallowing, turns in real quick.
If anything slightly harsh at the front so have turned out another ring on the front and another 1/4 turn out on the front rebound.
Will see how that goes :)