Post your suspension settings here.

Lighty

Reaction score
Ok. I posted this on another thread this afternoon but in the interests of information here goes....

I'm 13st and 6ft tall.

Rear shock...cranked to number 6 and damping wound fully in then back half a turn

Front shocks are wound rite down so only the first ring is showing (I believe this is 10mm but can confirm if needed to) and damping is the same as the rear...fully in (hard) and back half a turn.

This has sorted it to near perfect for me, (handles just as good as my K7 Gixxer track bike)! corner speeds are being carried a lot faster with no twitching when you get in the power early. No "diving" of the front forks under harsh breaking now either.

I hope this helps so wot.

Just remember every rider has a different style so it mite not be to ur liking.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees
Omfg, what a difference !
Thx TT ,
I'm similar height & weight( a little over on the weight, OI !!) Sooo adjusted the front from 5 rings showing and the rear from max preload also did damping f+r.
Went for a burn & it holds line brill & now when I hit bad surface mid corner , I don't skip out wide.
I can't say it'll be same for everyone but it's transformed handling for me.
Kudos to TT

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Omfg, what a difference !
Thx TT ,
I'm similar height & weight( a little over on the weight, OI !!) Sooo adjusted the front from 5 rings showing and the rear from max preload also did damping f+r.
Went for a burn & it holds line brill & now when I hit bad surface mid corner , I don't skip out wide.
I can't say it'll be same for everyone but it's transformed handling for me.
Kudos to TT
Ur very welcome. Glad it worked for u as well. Pst....! I go fishing too but don't tell these lot lol

ACE CAFE MEET FRIDAY 27th JUNE @ 6pm

emptyoh9

Reaction score
Ok. I posted this on another thread this afternoon but in the interests of information here goes....

I'm 13st and 6ft tall.

Rear shock...cranked to number 6 and damping wound fully in then back half a turn

Front shocks are wound rite down so only the first ring is showing (I believe this is 10mm but can confirm if needed to) and damping is the same as the rear...fully in (hard) and back half a turn.

This has sorted it to near perfect for me, (handles just as good as my K7 Gixxer track bike)! corner speeds are being carried a lot faster with no twitching when you get in the power early. No "diving" of the front forks under harsh breaking now either.

I hope this helps so wot.

Just remember every rider has a different style so it mite not be to ur liking.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

Just wanted to say thanks for this post...tried the settings as described -since i'm same weight and height - bike is transformed.

I was beginning to wonder why i'd given up my predictable CBR when i was pussy footing round corners and cutting the throttle on bumpier B roads, but this has vastly improved the bike, Thanks TRIPLE.

Matt

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for this post...tried the settings as described -since i'm same weight and height - bike is transformed.

I was beginning to wonder why i'd given up my predictable CBR when i was pussy footing round corners and cutting the throttle on bumpier B roads, but this has vastly improved the bike, Thanks TRIPLE.

Matt
Ur very welcome Matt...
Yet another satisfied customer lol. Glad to of been of assistance...;)

pbrickwood

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask you guys a question. I am no way pushing the bike to the limits as my skill doesn't go that far yet, but most my riding is on B roads being in Scotland and the surfaces are not the best. I'm 12st without gear so pushing 13st when fully geared up. Is it worth messing with the suspension settings?

relz

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask you guys a question. I am no way pushing the bike to the limits as my skill doesn't go that far yet, but most my riding is on B roads being in Scotland and the surfaces are not the best. I'm 12st without gear so pushing 13st when fully geared up. Is it worth messing with the suspension settings?
IMO Yes!
I'm also around 80 kilos (if I tuck my tummy in), and it made a big difference to my bike.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

emptyoh9

Reaction score
It makes a massive difference for the better....i knew the stock setup was soft but the difference is day and night...get the spanners out.

emptyoh9

Reaction score
I'm a little apprehensive as never really messed with bike suspension before.
So was i, shit scared of messing my bike up.

You'll need a 14mm spanner/socket. Flat headed screw driver and a C Spanner

Write down where the original settings are using the rings for the front forks, these are at the top. Use a rule and measure down or just count, take a picture it all helps. You can always return it to stock if you're not happy with it. Same goes for the damping adjustment (thats the screwdriver slotted one - i believe) just count how many times to all the way in (hard) and don't forget to write it down, i wrote it in my handbook.

For the rear i had to make an assumption (you know what they say about assumptions!) If you look at the ring at the end of the shock you'll see that it has notches all the way round...I believe there's 10. I assumed that 1 was soft and 10 is hardest...You'll see the notches go in a spiral, which means as you wind it up the preload on the spring increase as you compress the spring. Just count from the original position (i think mine was 4) i took it to 6, i.e moved it in by 2 notches. Then wound in the damper screw all the way then backed it off by half as TT mentioned in his post.

Hey presto bike stopped diving like a duck... I'm happy with the results... Please if anyone else reads this and thinks it's bollocks please say so, i don't and won't be held accountable for bikes that don't do what owners are expecting. This is just what worked for me. Hope it helps.

Matt

Peachy00

Reaction score
As suggested, all the way up on the shock, screw all the way in. Forks down to two lines showing and the screw on top half a turn in from standard. I'm 14 1/2 stone and it feels good to me. It's not helped by the quality of the roads here though!

Cams

Reaction score
I didn't really have a problem with the stock suspension settings...well at least I thought I didn't until I read this thread and decided to have a go at changing the settings.

I'm about 14.5-15 stone fully kitted.

So yesterday I cranked the rear shock to 5 and adjusted the front preload to three rings showing. I screwed both the rebound screws to full and then released them a 3/4 turn.

All I can say is wow! Straight after I did it I quickly jumped on the bike to go and get fuel and could feel the difference straight away. That was followed by a 120 mile ride-out on all my usual twisties. I couldn't believe how much more planted the bike felt. It really does make it feel like a different bike!

A quick 5 minute job that makes a world of difference! Cheers for the earlier input on this thread guys, I basically had a guess on what would suit me from everyone else's settings and I think I've got it bang on for what I'm looking for. Anyway, that's enough typing, it's dry outside and I've got a bloody brilliant bike to ride!!! :D

Locksmith

Reaction score
I'm a little apprehensive as never really messed with bike suspension before.
Do it my friend, you'll notice a difference. As you are a tad lighter than most of us fatboys maybe try 1 notch less front and back than Triples settings ?

As long as you know the std settings you can play around with it a lot and if it all gets in a mess just put it back to std and start again.

Just write down what you've done and make a note of any different feel and if its good or bad. Change 1 thing at a time and you'll end up with it as perfect as the oem suspension will manage. (For example, try the front rebound fully in and then ride the same roads with it fully out for extremities and then try in between settings.

It's all fun learning how your bike actually works!

pbrickwood

Reaction score
Well had a wee fiddle tonight set front to two rings showing and rebound 1 turn out. Rear to 5 and rebound ¾ out. See how it feels on the 60mile of Scottish twisties on the way to work in the morning.

pbrickwood

Reaction score
Well I can say the bike feels a little more precise and with the settings I used it's not too harsh when just tooting along.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
I'm awaiting Marlboro's review of the Ohlins !

The MT gets in my top three of bikes I've owned with the worst suspension. Just why didn't Yam spend the cash and put something decent on.

flydnb

Reaction score
Marcus to keep the price down , i suppose for a lot of owners they wont have probs with the suspension in normal riding , for fast road riding i have found that on bumpyish fast corners it can get a bit bouncy .

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Anything other than flat mine just can't hack Derbyshires B roads which are rough and rural. As soon as I get back into Notts it copes. Not brilliant but copes. Throw £1500 at the suspension to make it work and I would have been better off buying another GS BMW.
But the engine is good, no faulting the torque of the MT.
Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2