Real world fuel tank range

Deadhead

Reaction score
Still running mine in with just over 240miles clocked so far.
Having jumped over from the MT07 Ive been interested how close I can get the 09 fuel consumption to the 07.
I bought this bike mainly for commuting so please excuse the boring MPG topic.
So far have been pretty impressed getting 55/56 MPG, the difference is that you can ride the 07 however you like and she'll always return at least 60 MPG where as you have to think about the 09 a bit more, keeping the revs lower getting higher up the gearing quicker and she'll happily motor alone at 30mph in 5th. Been testing out the reserve tank as well and I reckon 30miles range is feasible. I just filled up with 12.92 litres and managed 27miles on reserve.
This time of year traffic isn't to bad, have changed my route home while the weather is so nice, it's a longer route but much nicer than major heavy traffic I would normal be wading through. Speeds vary between 30/40 and 60mph with virtually no stopping.

Kinjane

Reaction score
It's been mentioned before, but have you checked Fuelly.com lately? There's quite an informative range of figures listed for both the 07 and 09 models. 42 v 51 or 52 v 63 dependant on how you view the data across all the 2014 vehicles.

Basically the 07 achieves 10mpg more as an average but considering it's actually 35% less powerful than the 09 (115 -35% =74.75) that to me doesn't appear that efficient when comparing mpg against power output.

Could be interesting to see how the Tracer with its different fuelling compares.

Last edited:

Deadhead

Reaction score
It's been mentioned before, but have you checked Fuelly.com lately? There's quite an informative range of figures listed for both the 07 and 09 models. 42 v 51 or 52 v 63 dependant on how you view the data across all the 2014 vehicles.

Basically the 07 achieves 10mpg more as an average but considering it's actually 35% less powerful than the 09 (115 -35% =74.75) that to me doesn't appear that efficient when comparing mpg against power output.

Could be interesting to see how the Tracer with its different fuelling compares.
I have both my current bikes on fuelly.com and my previous 2 are also on there so it's interesting for me to compare bikes.

WyldeMT

Reaction score
My bike guzzled fuel during the run in period. It was making me think about all the stops i would have to make when i go on a 2 week tour to the south of france and italy on it come the summer. Since the first service however it has increaed to expected levels of around 130 - 150

Ozzie

Reaction score
Fuel Consumpsion

Hello everyone , while I still wait for my money to arrive , I was wondering what you all getting from a tank , I commute around 200 mile a week and don't wanna spend half my life in a petrol station :) thank you for your responses .

Well I am amazed how good this Tracer is on petrol. I have now done 600+ miles and booked in for 1st service. As i have been running in and pretty well keeping to the recommendations i expected a good return. No doubt this will fall now run in.

Today i went out on a 138 mile ride up into Derbysire. Traffic was moderately heavy and bloody speed limits in Derbyshire are nearly all 40/50mph. When i went out this morning i immediately filled up to the neck. I filled up again in Derby at 138miles. It took 11 litres to the neck. That works out at 57mpg or a tank range of 225miles. I guess this will be 200 when things settle down. The digital read out on the bike's mpg average is dead accurate.

I find these figures almost unbelievable and am more then happy.

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
hello everyone , can anyone tell me roughly how many miles you can still cover when the fuel trip starts ? how many litres are left in the tank ? I know this is in the owners hand book but would like a real time version from the members please , MT 09 please , thank you all .

MartinB

Reaction score
hello everyone , can anyone tell me roughly how many miles you can still cover when the fuel trip starts ? how many litres are left in the tank ? I know this is in the owners hand book but would like a real time version from the members please , MT 09 please , thank you all .
For me its 110/120 miles around town, 140/150 Touring, figures taken at first flash of gauge, flashing gauge to empty, 25/30 miles.
However there are a lot of variables Engine mode, weight of rider, size of rider, load on bike. etc etc
Good luck

lee1980

Reaction score
I was on 99 miles today when it started to flash on last bar, it seems to start to early and got in nearly 12 litres or so. mine is mostly town riding so gunning it between lights lol which is great fun!

Deadhead

Reaction score
I usually get the flashing around 115-120miles I then generally fill her up at around 25+miles(below 30) in the reserve. The last 2 tanks have been a little usual because the ave mpg has been rising as the bike beds in but the low reserve flashing has come on sooner?! A bit weird, because when I reached my usual 25miles on reserve I could only get 11 litres in. The bike has had it's first service now so will see what she really does. Up until now I get to 145miles and fill her up with 12.5 litres give or take.

jezthomas

Reaction score
I've managed 156 miles on a tank but only just and I was panicking by the time I got to the petrol station. I got 12.88 litres in so if the fuel tank capacity is accurate at 14 litres then there was only 1.12 litres left in it.

If you check out my fuelly stats: bumblewasp (Yamaha MT-09) | Fuelly you should be safe at around 130 miles to a tank but depending on your riding style you may have the reserve light flashing by that time.

I think you are going to be in the fuel station a heck of a lot.
I ran out completely on my second ever ride :-( I put 14.1 litres in when i filled it up. FYI When i ran out it wouldn't let me do a single metre more; not even the 200 metre limp i needed to get to the petrol station just ahead of me. i was in the middle of 3 lanes of screaming traffic, which wasn't ideal.

Texx920

Reaction score
Mon Dieu!!

Ran out on a French motorway after 172 fast miles with full gear and strong head winds. Most expensive 5 litres ever! Had 195 miles ok commuting before. I get 11mileds/litres on a mix fast A and twisty B roads.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ran out on a French motorway after 172 fast miles with full gear and strong head winds. Most expensive 5 litres ever! Had 195 miles ok commuting before. I get 11mileds/litres on a mix fast A and twisty B roads.
Ur riding a Tracy though aren't you?

Spook99

Reaction score
Razz, you've sparked some interest, there's 10 pages on this thread, but if you're trying to avoid fueling up so often get a Tracey, I've got no regrets

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Razz, you've sparked some interest, there's 10 pages on this thread, but if you're trying to avoid fueling up so often get a Tracey, I've got no regrets
Lol of course there's interest. It's been going for 18 months

MikeyFZS1

Reaction score
Just a minor hi-jack of the post to let you know that mi Tracer did precisely 197.5 (UK) miles on the last tankful, only reason I know this is because that is when it spluttered to a stop on the motorway on the way into work..................had to push the chuff for over a mile to the nearest garage.................in the pouring rain........at least it's a light bike.......................:)

LewFZ1

Reaction score
First time I have been down to the last segment on the gauge. I had it showing for at least 25kms. Does the last segment flash or anything like that when you hit reserve?? or does the little fuel pump icon flash?? My FZ1 used to zero the trip odo to zero when you hit the last segment.
Anyway turns out when I topped her up as in necked it she took 12.44 ltrs (2.47 Gallons) 228.3kms =144.86 miles so getting 57.43 mpg. That was just riding her in B Mode on mainly hilly mountain roads. I know get her in A mode but all I was doing was enjoying the breath taking scenery around were I live here in Spain.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
The last digital fuel segment does flash. And for pity's sake Lew, screw the mpg and unleash the power on those Spanish mountain roads! ;) :p

PS: the scenery is amazing :)

Last edited: