Remove Akrapovic db killer

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once the bolts and springs are off how easy is it to remove the back box? Mine aint budging. Whats the best technique,and how much force is needed? Do i need to heat up that part of the exhaust or will it come out cold with a spray of WD40 or similar? Sorry so many questions but i need to hear this pipe without the baffles and i really dont want to take to it with a hammer!!!
Shudnt have to heat it up but it mite help. A good twist and a pull shud do it heh hum lol

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

M

MT account

Shudnt have to heat it up but it mite help. A good twist and a pull shud do it heh hum lol

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!
i had a quick tug on it today, bored with the dry humping now. didnt wanna give so i took this apart instead........its all gonna end in tears........:)
20140417_185946.jpg

M

MT account

Nice lump hammer in shot there MT,the perfect tool for fettling a 6 cylinder lump !
yup. id show you what said lump hammer did to the cooling fins while trying to unweld the block from the crank cases but its too sad for me to photo............thank god for my dremmel extention cable and some chemical metal............oh hum....

Birdy

Reaction score
Thank the lord for chemical metal ! Once filled a hole the size of Kiwi fruit (?) in case of my XT 500 !

Birdy

Reaction score
Yet again ur engineering skills surpass u Mr B lol
Pity my riding skills dont... wouldnt have binned it in the first place :eek: I had to resort to this bodge tho , tried to order new casing... 6 week wait from Japan and about £200 !!!! This was early 90s , before the wonders of the web , and before i achieved my current riding god ability !

RipGroove

Reaction score
Finally got mine out today, took the rear box off and straight away the little screw that holds the insert in rounded off (even though I was using a nice Britool socket set). So had to drill the head of the bolt off then drill out the actual bolt, awesome. Managed to do all that without marking the exhaust which was nice. Think I'll drill that original thread out and fit a wire insert (helicoil) in there so it works properly next time. After that I just shoved a piece of old broom handle down the exhaust and tapped the insert out from the inside using a rubber mallet.

So, OMG it's loud without the insert fitted! Up in the higher revs is fine but down low it sounds like your local chavs Corsa.

I saw on here somewhere that someone chopped the insert up a bit and rekons the sound is a nice happy medium between stock and insert out, so I'm no exhaust expert so can anyone see any adverse effects from doing that, poor performance, heat build up etc?

If I do try it I'll be ordering a new insert to chop so I still retain the original.

EDIT/ Found the link to modified insert: http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-modifications/727-modified-akra-baffle.html

Sent from outer space

Last edited:

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
I've done mine it sounds great. .All the db does is reduce noise
and how fast the gases escape, by force the gases
Through the db.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Through the db.
You've removed it or modded it?

Sent from outer space

Martin p

Reaction score
You've removed it or modded it?

Sent from outer space
hi rip g , i did the original mod as per the pics on your link, as i said in the link cut just past the spot welds and file round the flange as well ,then i think it sounds just right and put some coppergrease on the screw and just nip it up. then if you want to take it out easy peezy

RipGroove

Reaction score
hi rip g , i did the original mod as per the pics on your link, as i said in the link cut just past the spot welds and file round the flange as well ,then i think it sounds just right and put some coppergrease on the screw and just nip it up. then if you want to take it out easy peezy
Only thing I'm thinking is that the exhaust gasses are now having to face a bit of a flat wall while trying to escape, meaning they'll be bouncing back in if you get what I mean.

Sent from outer space

M

MT account

Through the db.
did you alter the fueling when you first fitted the pipe? if its on the factory settings just wondering if it runs differently with the insert in or out?
ill probably do that mod to mine as in town riding will attract the extortion brigade in uniforms while flame throwing growls will amuse the thaigate massive (in different uniforms) on the weekends...

Martin p

Reaction score
Another 2 things i forgot to mention were increase the co settings via the clocks (explained elswhere on the forum) to +14 and with the akra will run much smoother, and also since doing my baffle mod and the co settings the fuel readings have gone up to just over 51 mpg from 46.

Spot

Reaction score
I finally got around to checking my CO settings last weekend (as I have an Akra) and the dealer had left them on 0.
I changed them to +14 and it's made a big difference in eliminating any snatchyness. Still not perfect, but a LOT better.

M

MT account

I finally got around to checking my CO settings last weekend (as I have an Akra) and the dealer had left them on 0.
I changed them to +14 and it's made a big difference in eliminating any snatchyness. Still not perfect, but a LOT better.
is that explained in the manual as ill have no chance of getting a thai to do it......and the manual will be in thai. damn.

Spot

Reaction score
is that explained in the manual as ill have no chance of getting a thai to do it......and the manual will be in thai. damn.
Don't think so....

To access the diagnostics menu to review/change your CO settings:

Hold down both the SELECT and RESET buttons and then turn the key so the dash comes on and keep holding the buttons down until "DIAG" appears.

Press SELECT to display CO.

Hold down both the SELECT and RESET buttons again and "1" will appear.

Press SELECT and it will run through "1", "2" & then "3" for each cylinder.

On each of these hold down both buttons until 0 appears (this assumes your dealer hasn't changed the setting already) then use SELECT & RESET to increase or decrease the value.

Once finished on that cylinder press both buttons to save and continue and repeat for the others.