"Roughness" in gearbox.

Kinjane

Reaction score
how could the CO settings affect the gearbox's roughness :confused:

Fairly simply actually, the CO bypass outlet tube feeds directly into the bottom of the sump, and it's this same CO enhanced oil that's also used for the gearbox lubication. Unfortunately CO when pumped under pressure through a viscous fluidic medium such as engine oil can cavitate at certain pump speeds which happens to correlate in this instance to between 3-4K rpm. It's this excess CO that makes itself known in the form of tiny bubbles that can be seen quite clearly through the sight glass sitting on top of the oil whenever the engine has been run for a while :rolleyes: ;)

OR it could be that it only feels like a gearbox problem because the expansion section of the exhaust is bolted to the bottom of the engine directly underneath it.
The exhaust pulses from the lean mixture is resonating within the 'scrotum' as it's been aptly named, and this vibration is simply being felt elsewhere. Richening up the AirFuelRatio via the CO settings reduces this.

BUT it is also a very very very slight outside possibility that if the bike has been run for the last 5,000 miles on the factory recommended drive chain settings the gearbox ouput shaft bearing is now excessively worn and might be suffering harmonic vibration whilst rotating between the quoted 3-4000 rpm. If so then in all likelyhood the ball race cage will eventually break apart releasing the round shiny balls into the engine which will soon end up looking like dented frozen peas and probably scrapping the engine in the process. I doubt that this is the case.

This is why I suggested a simple easy little test be conducted by the OP. Especially as the EU emissions generated lean mixture problem has a no-cost cure which can be carried out in less than two minutes.:D

But in reply to the OP's question...Yes, in all likelyhood it's a characteristic of the bike - just not one you have to put up with.

Last edited:

scotscoot09

Reaction score
I've had my cct replaced at 4k I've now got the most recent cct installed. It's started rattling too. And apparently the dealers aren't meant to adjust this one. Gettin a bit pissed off now.
On the upside, I had my rear shock replaced under warranty due to rust at the bottom yolk

Frugaltail

Reaction score
I would agree that 'roughness' is often caused by air fuel mix. Although not because of some long and complicated Bol****s about getting Co2 in the oil... it literally could be anything but in almost every circumstance the most obvious answer is usually the right one. Check all engine bolts, exhaust carrier etc are torque'd up correctly, and check there is no obstruction of the airbox (leaves etc) and consider a change in oil brand if your really unhappy.

Usually, roughness is a case of not being used to a particular bike and as both you and the bike continue through the break in period you will find that it will become less noticeable. At that point it becomes 'character' rather then 'roughness'

Frugaltail

Reaction score
;):D :D :D :D :D :D those?

Ah I don't mean it in a crass or rude way. I work with aircraft and have come to know that the more you look for a problem that isn't there... the more illusive the simple solution becomes.

Honda would love to be able to make something with character, who wants to bet they reverse engineer a CP3 and stick it in a hornet next year?