Suspension ...views?

rob5006

Reaction score
Having read a thread from a U.S. FZ09 site, it would appear that some people are purchasing Ohlins front springs and looking to upgrade their rear suspension. I have to admit that i am quite happy with the suspension and damping on my bike. I have adjusted the pre-load and rear shock /nitro to match my weight...Is it really an issue or all in the mind? I have read previous threads re. suspension and I am just curious to hear any comments/complaints or recommendations that owners may have...Regards.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did a suspension review a few months ago and it wud appear that most people have tried it and got some benefit from it. Like u I find the suspension ok. I've tweaked it for my weight and haven't found any fault with it since.

In think ur rite about the "is it in ur head" theory. I think it mite be another case of "forum syndrome"!
If people bother to take a few hours fettling (and also get to know their bike) they will discover that they don't need to shell out for expensive suspension.
Obviously if ur gonna do a lot of track work then u may need to upgrade but for everyday riding and general hooning about I wud suggest tweaking it urself

MT-Pete

Reaction score
I find it pretty poor. I've got the front & rear nearly on maximum to keep the thing anywhere near on line in bends. The problem with that though is that the rear kicks me in the back on anything but a billiard table smooth surface & the front still dives worse than a footballer! I'm a bit lardy at 15 stone so that probably doesn't help!

Thunder Child

Reaction score
105kg before riding gear here. Suspension is pretty poor indeed in my case.

Plan is for a Wilbers 641 in the back and a set of Matris cartridges in the front. Once that's done this bike will be the best I've owned.

Mtpete

Reaction score
Having read a thread from a U.S. FZ09 site, it would appear that some people are purchasing Ohlins front springs and looking to upgrade their rear suspension. I have to admit that i am quite happy with the suspension and damping on my bike. I have adjusted the pre-load and rear shock /nitro to match my weight...Is it really an issue or all in the mind? I have read previous threads re. suspension and I am just curious to hear any comments/complaints or recommendations that owners may have...Regards.
We'll you are spot on, if your happy with it then don't waste your time or $$ to fix what in your case an cosmetic issue. I wasn't happy with mine so I changed it now it's great, placebo or not if you have confidence in your bike/ suspension you'll enjoy your ride more.

relz

Reaction score
How do change the rear shock nitro?
I was only aware of two settings: the preload spring and rebound damping, which I've both cranked up almost to the limit.

The only issue I have with the suspension is when exiting a corner, if I hit the gas a bit too happily the rear end does a little dance, the bike kind if wallows around for a while until it settles, usually it feels like the rear is slipping a bit at that time too. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I find it crap also, nearly all on max settings and bottomed the bike out at the bottom of a downhill section of road. I'm not the heaviest (12.5 stone) so shouldn't have to have it all maxxed out. I sure as hell can't take a passenger or a load of luggage.

rob5006

Reaction score
I did a suspension review a few months ago and it wud appear that most people have tried it and got some benefit from it. Like u I find the suspension ok. I've tweaked it for my weight and haven't found any fault with it since.

In think ur rite about the "is it in ur head" theory. I think it mite be another case of "forum syndrome"!
If people bother to take a few hours fettling (and also get to know their bike) they will discover that they don't need to shell out for expensive suspension.
Obviously if ur gonna do a lot of track work then u may need to upgrade but for everyday riding and general hooning about I wud suggest tweaking it urself
I agree...throwing my bike all over the place and couldn't be happier.....probably a personal preference base on an individual riding style. Will try to find your review and read it...just out of curiosity. Thanks.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Thats because your riding supermoto style.
Not at all, I was tucked in with knee out when it happened. I'm not quite sure where you got that info from?

Last edited:

rob5006

Reaction score
How do change the rear shock nitro?
I was only aware of two settings: the preload spring and rebound damping, which I've both cranked up almost to the limit.

The only issue I have with the suspension is when exiting a corner, if I hit the gas a bit too happily the rear end does a little dance, the bike kind if wallows around for a while until it settles, usually it feels like the rear is slipping a bit at that time too. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
There is a small screw situated neat to underneath the seat. I have given this a half turn clockwise to make the hole smaller thus controlling the amount of oil which affects the damping by slowing down the movement thereby reducing the bounce. I have the rear chock cranked up two clicks from standard setting and the front pre-load cranked up one full 360 turn clockwise. I find the bike now gives me better handling for my style of riding and weight 13 st.-give or take a few kebabs....I'm happy with it and feel that i can throw it about over any crap terrain...I find that going over high rough-ish ground at 90mph + that bike can be a bit bouncy but thats only because it is so light and there is no real weight to plant the bike solidly. I have only found this when going over roads situated on really big T.T. type hills (Blackstonedge, ) but this is acceptable to me.

l34chy

Reaction score
I find it crap also, nearly all on max settings and bottomed the bike out at the bottom of a downhill section of road. I'm not the heaviest (12.5 stone) so shouldn't have to have it all maxxed out. I sure as hell can't take a passenger or a load of luggage.
That's quite mild i would call w--k it's like riding an armchair just come back from the Isle of Man and over the mountain it was shaking it's head bottoming the front end, squirming under acceleration out of corners.
I only weigh 10 stone the suspension is dire got the lot wound up it reminds me of my superdream feels like it's hinged in the middle.
for a bike with so much power the suspension is a let down

relz

Reaction score
There is a small screw situated neat to underneath the seat. I have given this a half turn clockwise to make the hole smaller thus controlling the amount of oil which affects the damping by slowing down the movement thereby reducing the bounce. I have the rear chock cranked up two clicks from standard setting and the front pre-load cranked up one full 360 turn clockwise. I find the bike now gives me better handling for my style of riding and weight 13 st.-give or take a few kebabs....I'm happy with it and feel that i can throw it about over any crap terrain...I find that going over high rough-ish ground at 90mph + that bike can be a bit bouncy but thats only because it is so light and there is no real weight to plant the bike solidly. I have only found this when going over roads situated on really big T.T. type hills (Blackstonedge, ) but this is acceptable to me.
OK, I guess you're referring to the Rebound Damping screw (as in pic), you had me confused when you mentioned nitro...
rebound.JPG
I've already set that to almost max, I might just screw it all the way in. As many others here have, I've increased my preloads and rebounds to nearly max, and it's made a huge improvement to the handling. It's just that I'm still getting a bit of that annoying tail dance (wallowing/pogoing), when exiting corners on the gas :(.

Some of the reviews from other people who have invested money in the suspension upgrades just sound fantastic. It's a lot of money, but if it's really that good...
I figured the shock would make a difference, I had no idea it would completely transform this bike. Even with no front fork modifications, cornering was insane. My biggest issue is calming my anxiety of cornering harder. I've never owned a bike with good suspension so when I push it the bike starts to pogo, my ass puckers and I've had to back off.
Now I get to that same point, my ass still puckers but the bike is just stuck to the road.

rob5006

Reaction score
OK, I guess you're referring to the Rebound Damping screw (as in pic), you had me confused when you mentioned nitro...
View attachment 2192
I've already set that to almost max, I might just screw it all the way in. As many others here have, I've increased my preloads and rebounds to nearly max, and it's made a huge improvement to the handling. It's just that I'm still getting a bit of that annoying tail dance (wallowing/pogoing), when exiting corners on the gas :(.

Some of the reviews from other people who have invested money in the suspension upgrades just sound fantastic. It's a lot of money, but if it's really that good...
Sorry for the confusion, yes Rebound damping force, I just call it the Nitro , maybe I should call it the RDF, To stop it being long winded....looks like this debate on suspension could run and run. Talk about opening a can of worms....!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, yes Rebound damping force, I just call it the Nitro , maybe I should call it the RDF, To stop it being long winded....looks like this debate on suspension could run and run. Talk about opening a can of worms....!
That can has been open since around January lol

the voices

Reaction score
Not at all, I was tucked in with knee out when it happened. I'm not quite sure where you got that info from?
im riding mine supermoto style, and having great fun, its like riding a bloody bucking horse, wheelies nice, bars are flapping like mad, loving it.
advice is have a fiddle and just ride the bloody thing as it is a budget allrounder and not a gp bike.