A Mode

craigzx9

Reaction score
I have had my 09 for over a year now and I am slowly getting it to a great bike, so far the suspension has been changed to Ohlin’s rear and Andreani front cartridges and all set up by FTR Suspension. H & M quick shifter, a great sounding Leo Vinci full exhaust, and Pirelli Supercorsa’s. The bike now handles and rides and sounds like a dream.

BUT the snatchey throttle in A mode is driving me mad, I tried the O2 eliminator but that put the engine management light on after a long motorway run, I brought the O2 eliminator gadget from Australia but that made no difference what so ever (waste of money) I have had the bike remapped by a Yamaha dealer but it is still very difficult to ride coming off closed throttle in A mode.

I understand there is lots of posts regarding this problem but is there a cure, and if not why is Yamaha not doing more to make this bike safer to ride.

Craig

bingowatts

Reaction score
The O2 eliminator is not designed to stop the snatchy throttle, just to even out the fi at low throttle stop it being so jerky: i.e.at speeds of up to thirtyish.

Tropicocity

Reaction score
The O2 eliminator is not designed to stop the snatchy throttle, just to even out the fi at low throttle stop it being so jerky: i.e.at speeds of up to thirtyish.
This is one thing I've noticed for sure having owned my 09 under a week - no matter what ride mode it's put in, sub-30mph it's pretty jerky even if you keep your throttle perfectly still...does triple's flash resolve this?

craigzx9

Reaction score
This is one thing I've noticed for sure having owned my 09 under a week - no matter what ride mode it's put in, sub-30mph it's pretty jerky even if you keep your throttle perfectly still...does triple's flash resolve this?
I had mine flashed but did not seem to make much difference

Tropicocity

Reaction score
You should come see us....
We will sort it all out for you plus unleash that beast lol
Hey Triple bud :)

I'm guessing craigzx9 didn't get your flash then? Has it been 100% confirmed to remove/reduce the low end jerkiness?
I'm not too fussed about the 5th/6th gear rev limiter (can hit 125 in 4th without issue :D), but considering my most common journey involves South London city riding, it's a bit concerning having to pretty much stay in 1st with higher revs to avoid it.
If I were to compare it to a gas stove, I'd expect a solid strong flame that burns without interruption, but it feels more like when a candle flickers in the wind, almost as if it's not fuelling consistently but in little batches or something (have no idea as I'm basically clueless about engines in general!)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No craigzx9 hasn't but I'm sure we will be seeing him soon lol.
We've flashed over 30 odd MT's so far and not had a single complaint about the jerky throttle so I guess that speaks volumes....

craigzx9

Reaction score
Craig which remap did you have ?
Not sure what map I had it done at cope's motorcycles in Colchester but the mechanic was not very confident saying sometimes it works better than others!
I took the bike bike back to Bowers in Bury St Edmonds for its annual service and asked if they can check the mapping but they have lost the software on there PC, and are waiting for Yamaha to sort it out, I called them yesterday to book it in at the weekend and still not working.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
People need to be clear over what the issue described actually is, I see two separate issues, one is the sudden change from closed throttle to acceleration and it being quite violent and unsettling the bike, the other issue is when one tries to ride at a constant low throttle opening in town for example and the bike tends to surge and splutter and generally run unevenly, I found that this second issue was cured by the "Australian" Kev mod to my satisfaction, the issue being caused by the eco mode and closed loop fueling map as designed by Yamaha being somewhat too lean.

The remap/flash that TT mentions I have had done to my bike, it does smooth the transition somewhat from a closed throttle to acceleration and makes your bike go like a rocket ship in A mode!, there's a few other tricks available too, I also use the G2 throttle tube, it lessens the linear movement of the throttle cable for a given throttle rotation for the first 30% or so of twistgrip travel, it makes it easier for me to have precise control as I come out of bends etc.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Is it a problem when riding through heavy traffic or on the open road?
I've done over 10000 miles on mine and dont have a problem. I only use A mode when out for a fast run, if I'm commuting and riding through the city/heavy traffic its on standard, as its to lairy to have in A mode.

Pool Boy

Reaction score
Exactly...
I've never quite understood this obsession with A mode
Sure, it's great fun on the track or even on an open road but often uncomfortable in town - so that's why Mr Yam gave us standard or B mode - why would you need such ferocious throttle response in town anyway - where B mode easily outruns anything but another bike ?
Surely if you alter A mode so you can use it anywhere you dilute the fun of hitting the open road and letting rip ?

MTom

Reaction score
My bike hasn't had any flashes done to the ECU and i ride everywhere in A mode because standard mode is dodgy for me.

Maybe im just too used to it now and will only realise when i jump on another bike.

My dealer was very reluctant to flash it before my first service as he said people were getting it done for the sake of it.

craigzx9

Reaction score
Quick up date with my bike.. Spoke to Yamaha UK to discuss the problem, they told me to go back to Cope's motorcycles as they fitted the Yamaha ECU upgrade. Called Cope's and spoke to the workshop and there answer was don't use A mode and tighten the chain so it only has 5mm slack play. Not the best answer I have heard, I can not understand how chain tension can affect fuelling issues. So Yamaha pass the buck and Cope's have a strange view on logic.
So I call TT and discuss my options and he assures me his flash will sort out my problems, therefore tomorrow. The ECU will be sent to TT so no pressure TT.
YAMAHA PLEASE SORT OUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE

CT/

Reaction score
Quick up date with my bike.. Spoke to Yamaha UK to discuss the problem, they told me to go back to Cope's motorcycles as they fitted the Yamaha ECU upgrade. Called Cope's and spoke to the workshop and there answer was don't use A mode and tighten the chain so it only has 5mm slack play. Not the best answer I have heard, I can not understand how chain tension can affect fuelling issues. So Yamaha pass the buck and Cope's have a strange view on logic.
So I call TT and discuss my options and he assures me his flash will sort out my problems, therefore tomorrow. The ECU will be sent to TT so no pressure TT.
Don't use A mode and only 5mm of chain slack,,,, who told yer that,,,, 1 of the chuckle brothers ?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lol. I love pressure.
Don't forget to get a filter for it. It runs so much smoother alongside the flash with one fitted.