*****aftermarket ecu flash*****

Do we rename the two ECU threads for ease of reading?

• Total voters
Would it be possible to go for the free Yam flash ( only because its free ) and if i wasn't totally happy with it, get Simon to do his thing? Or does getting the Yam flash mean its not possible to get any further ECU tweaks done??
I'm in Swansea, if there are others nearby who fancy giving it a shot, we could make it worth his while coming here for a group flash!!!!!
last time i went to swansea some cnut stole my fender extender and damaged my carbon bell by trying to rip it off my bike.......i wouldnt advise him going over there unless his laptop was welded to a jcb's bucket with the wheels removed.
......jus going on what happened to me.............:eek:

From wot "we" think.....

Yamaha are offering a "free" ecu flash and saying it's irreversible because they are going to "close" the ecu shut tight after the update so people like us can't mess with it etc...
There's no way that they can flash the ecu and make it irreversible without putting security measures in place to stop people getting in again....
Obviously this is just a theory....lol

An ECU flash was always going to remove limiters, reduce engine breaking and add fuel etc, thats what we've been waiting for here in the UK. They've been doing it in the US for ages, just have a read on FZ09.org (esp StoltecMoto).

As we had no flashes over here in the UK I've already reduced my engine breaking, got rid of the lean running and smoothed the throttle roll on by fitting an EJK fuel controller. And just to make it super smooth also added the G2.

A flash was always on my list from the start but as my temporary measures have worked so well I don't know if it's worth the bother for me now. Will be interested to hear from some of you if you try this flash, but it'll have to be pretty damn good for me to make the switch.

One thing that I would like to compare though is MPG, reducing both lean running and engine breaking requires the adding of fuel which in turn leads to a reduced MPG, which on a bike with a small tank is a pain. I'll need to calculate mine in order to compare.

Worth noting also that some of the guys in the US still have a bit of a snatch even after having their ECU flashed.

Also another plus point for an EJK is that it is fully adjustable on the fly with no PC and no tools, just button presses. Also the standard ECU remains intact so no warry issues at all. If I ever need warranty work done all I'd need to do is unplug the EJK and the bike is back to normal.

Last edited:
An ECU flash was always going to remove limiters, reduce engine breaking and add fuel etc, thats what we've been waiting for here in the UK. They've been doing it in the US for ages, just have a read on FZ09.org (esp StoltecMoto).

As we had no flashes over here in the UK I've already reduced my engine breaking, got rid of the lean running and smoothed the throttle roll on by fitting an EJK fuel controller. And just to make it super smooth also added the G2.

A flash was always on my list from the start but as my temporary measures have worked so well I don't know if it's worth the bother for me now. Will be interested to hear from some of you if you try this flash, but it'll have to be pretty damn good for me to make the switch.

One thing that I would like to compare though is MPG, reducing both lean running and engine breaking requires the adding of fuel which in turn leads to a reduced MPG, which on a bike with a small tank is a pain. I'll need to calculate mine in order to compare.

The flash also changes the start up default mode to A, u can choose at which temperature the fan cuts in etc etc...
For me it's a no brainer...I've never had a problem with the so called "snatchy" throttle so never needed a tammer (I also didn't wanna butcher my heated grips to fit it)!
Anyway... each to their own I guess.....

The flash also changes the start up default mode to A, u can choose at which temperature the fan cuts in etc etc...
For me it's a no brainer...I've never had a problem with the so called "snatchy" throttle so never needed a stammer (I also didn't wanna butcher my heated grips to fit it)!
Anyway... each to their own I guess.....
Yeah as said a flash was always going to be the one stop solution for the MT. Only reason I've not had it done yet was the lack of availability. I hope it does everything it should while not lowering the MPG too much. Will definitely keep an eye out for reviews ;-)

Yeah as said a flash was always going to be the one stop solution for the MT. Only reason I've not had it done yet was the lack of availability. I hope it does everything it should while not lowering the MPG too much. Will definitely keep an eye out for reviews ;-)

Well I'm gonna be getting mine done in the next couple of weeks...we just need to get a few more results off Dave coats and a couple of other guys who have been using it...

Well I'm gonna be getting mine done in the next couple of weeks...we just need to get a few more results off Dave coats and a couple of other guys who have been using it...
somehow, im not going to believe daves mpg figures.........well, its not like he rides around at a constant 56mph, is it?

Just found one myself here
Looks straightforward.
Might be worth popping into Raceways at Fleetwood and making some enquiries regarding the re-flash that Yamaha are rolling out before venturing out on a private enterprise.....it maybe that Raceways have it and will install it for a few quid or for free as....it may be ideal....but I do like the sound of what is on offer ....think I will hang back and read the reviews...at the end of the day, I am happy with my throttle response thanks to the G2 Tamer and DNA Filter....don't know if it is possible to have my set up any smoother. I will observe with great interest!

I have already been in. They will do the official Yamaha irreversible update no probs free under warranty but I don't want it done. Like you, I am very happy with the G2 and DNA filter. Raceways intend to put it on their demo bike to test the impact and I have volunteered to test it based on a comparison with mine to see how it compares with the phyical mods of G2 & DNA.

I had also been talking to them on and off over the weeks about people 'flashing' the ECU. They knew some in the racing world who had done it. Sadly, not all had gone well with all of them. BUT that is not to say that the flash suggested in this thread would have probs. i know nothing to suggest that it would be other than OK - except, of course, for warranty implications.

I was initially interested but have decided that as I am happy with it as it is I will leave it alone. The other thing is, no one can yet explain why the rpm is limited in 5/6. I do like to know accurately - not speculatively - why things are done before I decide to undo them.:)

There are people on here talking of doing 130-140mph with the present set-up so I am not sure what removing the restriction has to offer. Frankly, I coudn't stay on it at 130-140mph. The buffeting once you start significantly leaving max speed limits behind makes it difficult to maintain clear vision. I find it handy to see what is ahead! :cool:

Fair comments......I f you do test the Yamaha flash, I would be very grateful to read your findings. Like yourself, I am happy with the Dna and G2 Tamer...but still curious how the new flash affects performance in comparison with the 'old' flash..and then also curious how the bike performs with the new flash AND Dna filter with G2 Tamer.!

Might be worth popping into Raceways at Fleetwood and making some enquiries regarding the re-flash that Yamaha are rolling out before venturing out on a private enterprise.....it maybe that Raceways have it and will install it for a few quid or for free as....it may be ideal....but I do like the sound of what is on offer ....think I will hang back and read the reviews...at the end of the day, I am happy with my throttle response thanks to the G2 Tamer and DNA Filter....don't know if it is possible to have my set up any smoother. I will observe with great interest!

My set up is exactly how I want it also.....!
Wot I want is the de-restriction in 5th & 6th, no engine braking at all, start up defaulted to A mode all the time, get the fan to kick in at a lower temp....!
The list goes on.

As it stands.....
Only Yamaha UK can plug into the ECU and see if it has been flashed/altered etc. dealerships can only see the settings in the diag menu on the dash, when they do the ECU update they still won't see wots on the ECU, they have to trust Yamaha UK to give them the right software to load....!
When they load it on they can't see ur current setup or wot uv got going on on there so unless u blow up ur ECU at some stage "highly unlikely"! It's not gonna be seen.
And that info gentlemen came from a Yamaha dealership so all the warranty warriors, health & safety bods and general rumour/scare mungers can get back in ur box and "zipit.com"
At the end of the day, no one is making anyone have this flash done or even the Yamaha flash done, this is purely an individual venture. I decided to let everyone know about it because this is wot the forum is here for.
Rant over.....!

I have already been in. They will do the official Yamaha irreversible update no probs free under warranty but I don't want it done. Like you, I am very happy with the G2 and DNA filter. Raceways intend to put it on their demo bike to test the impact and I have volunteered to test it based on a comparison with mine to see how it compares with the phyical mods of G2 & DNA.

I had also been talking to them on and off over the weeks about people 'flashing' the ECU. They knew some in the racing world who had done it. Sadly, not all had gone well with all of them. BUT that is not to say that the flash suggested in this thread would have probs. i know nothing to suggest that it would be other than OK - except, of course, for warranty implications.

I was initially interested but have decided that as I am happy with it as it is I will leave it alone. The other thing is, no one can yet explain why the rpm is limited in 5/6. I do like to know accurately - not speculatively - why things are done before I decide to undo them.:)

There are people on here talking of doing 130-140mph with the present set-up so I am not sure what removing the restriction has to offer. Frankly, I coudn't stay on it at 130-140mph. The buffeting once you start significantly leaving max speed limits behind makes it difficult to maintain clear vision. I find it handy to see what is ahead! :cool:
I'd put money on the limits in 5th & 6th being there simply to reduce top speed. Reason being that this is a naked bike, bikes with fairings will stable themselves at higher speeds due to their shape.

I'd put money on the limits in 5th & 6th being there simply to reduce top speed. Reason being that this is a naked bike, bikes with fairings will stable themselves at higher speeds due to their shape.

Ur exactly rite Rip. Also if ur tonking along for miles bouncing off the rev limiter it's gonna go pop at some point lol

Well yeah there Is that too lol

Another point to note....! When everyone says "I was doing 141"
They were actually doing around 128 as it's impossible to go any faster without the restriction lifted. Mine says 141 flat out but the dyno says 128 every time lol.
It's mad how the speedo can be so out but that's all explained in another thread lol. I'm sure the tech bods/health & safety bods etc will jump all over me now [emoji20]

Back