bad vibes

offo

Reaction score
How bad are these vibes people are talking about, i do get a slight tingly vibrating feeling as i accelerate but it's nothing unbearable, kind of feels like the vibes i used to have when riding my two stroke moto X bikes.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How bad are these vibes people are talking about, i do get a slight tingly vibrating feeling as i accelerate but it's nothing unbearable, kind of feels like the vibes i used to have when riding my two stroke moto X bikes.
That'll be the CP3 doing that.

mccruise

Reaction score
MCCruise - available in 2 weeks for MT-09; MT-09 Tracer; FZ-09 & FJ-09

riding back on the motorway , for about 40 mins
found the bars vibe a bit, by the time i got home my right hand was numb .....
just picked up the bike, so taking it steady , about 70 all the way.

anyone else got vibrating handle bars ?
Hi,

I haven't ridden enough yet to know whether I have a problem, but I can't ride any bike for more than 10 minutes without my fingers going numb.

Just letting you know that the kit is developed on our MT-09 Tracer and will be released in a couple of weeks when instructions are finished. Solve all your ergonomic issues, increase fuel range and avoid getting booked!

Tony Guymer

Reaction score
Raised bars and MCCruise solved my problems

I found the angle of the bars was wrong for me and too low - fixed the bars and put electronic cruise control on. All good now!

GRAHAM TRACER 15

Reaction score
The vibration on my bike is becoming a pain, it occurs only on the throttle side, every time I ride I get a numb thumb and two fingers nearest the thumb within 20 minutes, the clutch side is fine with no vibes at all so I think I can safely assume nothing is loose, I have checked the handguard mounts and ends which are tight, I know I don't grip too tightly, it is not the thumb assist thing I have because I have tried the bike without it and its the same, I am going to get some heavy bar ends, different grips and remove the handguards to see if that works, I hope it does because the vibes are spoiling the riding experience for me.
There are no unpleasant vibes through the footpegs, just a moderate amount which is ok.

Doug H

Reaction score
Vibration

riding back on the motorway , for about 40 mins
found the bars vibe a bit, by the time i got home my right hand was numb .....
just picked up the bike, so taking it steady , about 70 all the way.

anyone else got vibrating handle bars ?
I had the same problem with my Tracer when I first rode it. It turned out to be caused by the chain tension being way too tight. Back it off to 20 - 30 mm with the bike on the centre stand. Should fix it.

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
I used to get this problem on an 03 plate Fazer 1000, numb right hand after an hour riding. I think its linked to pressure on a nerve in the palm of the hand. The problem was better, but still there on a Tiger 800 but I have not had it at all on the Tracer. I have the hand guards removed and do not get any noticeable vibration through the bars ( I'm sure that there was some vibrations with them fitted but they came off some time ago). Its easy to take the guards off for a test run, suggest anyone with a bar vibration problem tries this first.

My chain is cleaned, lubed and well adjusted of course....

MT-Tracer

Reaction score
Hi guys, new Tracer owner, picked mine up Friday :D pretty much stock condition, had very minor vibes at certain rev ranges through foot pegs & seat but hardly noticeable, however! Once I installed a Brand new Akrapovic Carbon exhaust, I have noticed the vibes more & even in the handlebars a bit too now ��

With the carbon you need to remove the centre stand but on the left (chain) side you need the stand bracket left in as Akrapovic only supplies bracket on exhaust side for muffler fixing, but I found that the exhaust touches that left bracket & sends harsh vibes into left foot peg.
I did manage to bend the bracket away a little just enough to stop exhaust touching which did reduce vibes, but think I need to get a different spacer in there.

It may also be a fuelling thing, better breathing exhaust but no tune YET!
Team Moto Yam (& even mechanic tracer owner) both say you don't 'need' a tune as the ECU can learn! �� if that's the case then why aren't tuners going out of business!??
Anyway, I changed the ECU CO settings from 0 to 10 which didn't seem to make much diff, if anything sounds rich & gurgles, but I believe that only affects closed loop / low throttle operation, I'm thinking the 4000~ rpm vibes are emissions as this is a 'cruise range' and was most likely lean to start with.

Can anyone confirm if they had vibes that went away after a tune &/or power commander installed??

Cruising in 6th around 3-3500 rpm feels great, no 'noticeable' vibe but 4-5000 is where I feel it most

If you think it's tyres or loose bolts etc, when you feel the vibe, pull clutch in, if vibes stop, it's not the tyres or rolling chassis ;)

Last edited:

stavrosd2006

Reaction score
Get yourself one of these:
throttle aid / Cramp buster | eBay

I got my licence just over a year ago.
First thing I noticed about longer distance riding was right hand thumb numbing.
This bit of moulded plastic saved the day.
You use the heel of your hand to set the throttle position, so no need to grip the bar.
Less than a tenner and problrm solved.

My mate who has had bikes for years, hates it.
Maybe I reaped the benefit of not getting used to a conventional way of managing the throttle position.
I did the same mod. Numbness on my right hand is gone!!!
What a great piece of plastic!!

Aquazoi

Reaction score
Unstable front end

Hi All,
I have 2015 MT09 Tracer, 5000km. I've had it from new and it stock standard.
About 1500 km ago I found the front end a bit unstable.
At 160km/h I start feeling a slight "speed wobble" from the front end.
At 170 its worse and at 175 I need to tap off cause it feels like trouble.
Once I managed 189 before tapping off, but that was a while ago and I am not confidant to go beyond 175.
Tyres are in good condition, tyre pressure is good, front suspension has been adjusted and the dealer tested at 215km/h and they found no problem.
Any ideas, please?

robin

Reaction score
Suspension, tyres, tyre pressures, top box, side cases. Pillion or no pillion. It was found on FJRs that the space between rider and tob box created a vortex. Take top box off or put a pillion on.

Although 100 mph is not too bad,I suppose you could slow down a bit.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hi All,
I have 2015 MT09 Tracer, 5000km. I've had it from new and it stock standard.
About 1500 km ago I found the front end a bit unstable.
At 160km/h I start feeling a slight "speed wobble" from the front end.
At 170 its worse and at 175 I need to tap off cause it feels like trouble.
Once I managed 189 before tapping off, but that was a while ago and I am not confidant to go beyond 175.
Tyres are in good condition, tyre pressure is good, front suspension has been adjusted and the dealer tested at 215km/h and they found no problem.
Any ideas, please?
When you had adjust chain slack?
In most cases the "speed wobling" happened when the swing arm's adjusters were not equally balanced... there is a big topic for this phenomenon actually.
So you shouldn't trust the swingarm's lines and it's better to measure same points of reference on both sides of the swingarm before and during tightening the rear wheel's nut.
If the above is not the sollution of the problem then it must happened for other reasons as could be the use of some types of tyres or side wind during fast riding.

El Bandito

Reaction score
I've had my 2017 Tracer a month now. I've suffered the same vibration through the bars, seat and pegs like many others have. Also have the noisy screen problem/slight weave at speed issue. So I started to to muck about by taking bits off to see if things altered.
Changed screen to Powerbronze touring one - vibes/weave still the same but noise reduced a bit.
Took the handguards off - vibes maybe a bit less but noise still the same.
Handguards back on and screen taken off - vibes now minimal and no weave.
Put everything back on and back to a slight weave but vibes not as bad. Maybe handguards bolts or bar ends weren't fully tight before?
Now just had the 600 service done and lo and behold the vibes through the bars are now almost non existent. I'm only feeling a little tingle on the clutch side whereas before it was much worse on the throttle side. I've not had any tingling fingers sitting at 5k rpm since. So I'm putting it down to a combination of:
Bolts not fully tightened
Nice new thick oil after the service rather than the thin running in stuff

As for the weave, it has been particularly windy up here. The weave is non existent when there is no wind or when going downwind but only seems to appear with crosswinds or directly into the wind. When the screen was off I didn't get the weave even though it was windy so it looks like it is just an aerodynamics "feature" of the bike that I'll need to get used to.

Now I just need to find out how to dampen the vibes through the seat I get around the 6.8k rpm limit I'm stuck at till it's fully run in......

El Bandito

Reaction score
Although I said previously that the vibes had gone at 5k rpm, there was still quite a bit nearer 7k. I took the hand guards off today and fitted the old bar ends from my MT07 and that has definitely reduced the vibes. Just need to figure out how to dampen the vibes through the seat....

El Bandito

Reaction score
Just noticed that my profile still showed my old MT07. I've got a 2017 Tracer and my posts have actually been about the Tracer as far as the vibes are concerned. Hopefully they lessen as the miles go on - or do you just acclimatise to them?