Changing the CO settings in the DIAG menu

Daniel

Reaction score
untouched, out of the box "unrestricted" fuel map and bike equipped with hi-flo air filter and full exhaust like carbon akra/mivv/arrow/etc - setting "0" in CO gives ~14,5-15 AFR..

atomic

Reaction score
Anyone else got a 2016 MT09 who can either confirm or deny if the DIAG/CO is acceptable by holding the 2 buttons down and turning the ignition on?
I can confirm that on new 2016 it is not possible to access DIAG/CO menu by holding 2 buttos down.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You will not be able to access the DIAG/CO settings via the dash on any 2016 Yamaha bike now unless you have the official diagnostic tool

atomic

Reaction score
as I confirmed in my post above.
I thought it was understood that a diagnostic tool can now change it ;)

Last edited:

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
You will not be able to access the DIAG/CO settings via the dash on any 2016 Yamaha bike now unless you have the official diagnostic tool
Interesting. Why is that? Glad I've the option to change it. I've played about with settings, but reset all 3 cylinders to 0, as the engine is stock.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because of the new eu emissions laws they don't want anyone trying to change the CO settings apparently

Sven

Reaction score
I've got a 2016 registered Tracer which i can change the CO settings on. Does this mean i have a 2015 model bike??

atomic

Reaction score
Whether on your dashboard modes remain how you chose and after you re-start the engine? Or always returns an STD?

bobh

Reaction score
I've got a 2016 registered Tracer which i can change the CO settings on. Does this mean i have a 2015 model bike??
I think the obvious difference between 2015 and 2016 models is that the later one has traction control.

Sven

Reaction score
Mine has traction control....so that makes it a 2016.
& i can change the CO settings on it, i tried it the other day & set them to 14.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
All MT-09 Tracers are ABS/TC equipped.
Only the MT-09 2016 model has not the option of changing CO via dash buttons but... instead of that it keeps the mode that were been when swiched off the engine for last time (i.e. if someone had riden last night in -A- , the bike's ECU "memory" keep's that "in mind" and next morning when he switch the engine on, the bike is still running in -A- mode..)

Forgot to mention that all MT-09 2016 models (including Street-Rally and Sport-Tracker models) have adjustableTraction Control..

Last edited:

Crazytown

Reaction score
Well only learned of this adjustment after 20,000km on the bike.

Have an Akra fitted and have to run with the DB killer in. Here in Singapore there are bike mounted "enforcers" riding around looking for offenders of vehicle modifications, I got fined $500 for riding my STR with DB's removed from the Zards in 2011 " Ouch".

Will check about the CO setting - bike is a late 2014 model. Hopefully the Yamaha dealer will have made the setting when they installed the Akra, but I need to check.

Cheers

Crazytown

Reaction score
Changed the settings from 0 to +14 yesterday.

WOW - unbelievable difference!

Bike now far more responsive, glad to hear that fuel consumption will also improve.

Thanks so much for the info....

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Yesterday my bike had its 30.000km service,when my mechanic drilled small holes on the 3 exhaust pipes and did exhaust gas analysis, so he gave different adjustments at -CO- settings for each cylinder.
According Yamaha, the correct is (on stock engine) to have no more than 4% of CO in exhaust gas.
So he put C1 at +21, C2 at +35 and C3 at -4. In those settings the CO is 4% in each cylinder.
On the road, the bike now is more "smooth" except some vibration in a specific range in midle rpm, which i may didn't have realize before..
Also i did (as every 10.000km) throtle injection's syncronization.
Now the bike works better and gives more responce comparatively as it was with the CO at 14 in all cylinders.

Deadhead

Reaction score
My 2015 model has just had it's 6k mile service and it feels anything but smooth after! I've checked the CO settings and they are set to 14 so going by this thread it should feel great! I've lowered it to 10, felt much better and also tried it on 0. It's running with an akra (baffle out). I changed the CO before when I got the bike but cant for the life of me remember what.
The fan kicked in the other day, I don't think i've ever heard it before.lol. Bike isn't happy, any help or advice appreciated.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Were you in heavy traffic when the fan came on ?

A higher CO setting will keep the engine running cooler at tick over and in slow moving traffic where you're on 0 > 2% throttle more than at any other time.

Bugs 13

Reaction score
M4

I have a 2015 FZ09 and I installed and M4 slip on exhaust. What I'd be running my CO @+14 and if I do will it harm anything? Thanks

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
I have a 2015 FZ09 and I installed and M4 slip on exhaust. What I'd be running my CO @+14 and if I do will it harm anything? Thanks
No harm but if you want to get the best of your engine you must adjust the CO at a specific number for eachone of the 3 cylinders.
To put C1 - C2 - C3 in the same number is something very general and works more as "placebo effect" than real smooth delivery of power.
Take a look at the right procedure for CO setting that mentioned in my last post above...
There is need to drill small holes on the exhaust pipes... otherwise let all at -0-
Since then i realise less fuel consumption than before, my bike pulls better and reaches very fast the 225km speed limiter.. then it dies at 224.......

Jetty

Reaction score
Why are holes drilled in the pipes? I'm not sure I'd want to do that! :/ ...What happens if you don't, but do change the settings that you describe??