Curious, how much I'd get for my bike if I sold it now

Cypher

Reaction score
As the topic title says - how much would my bike fetch if I was to sell it now? Got a few protectors installed and a radiator guard. Stock pipe and 2100 miles.

I'm getting seriously close to doing that as it seems that Yamaha doesn't give a s**t about their customers. I already posted my experience with Woodford Motorcycles (an authorised Yamaha dealership) who point blank refused to do any warranty repairs on my bike saying that I was only a secondary customer to them not having bought the bike from them.

On Saturday I went to my dealer (Lamba) to get the noise on the left side of the engine fixed. And as they would supposedly be taking the engine covers off, also replace my scratched covers and install the T-Rex protectors.

I was there at 9am. They had no courtesy bikes anymore because their boss had realised that renting them out makes him more money than keeping them for their customers. The only one left to rent was a YBR125, which I decided to get not to rot in that place for the whole day but was presented with a £35 bill for mere 5 hours of use! Eventually I negotiated down to £20, rode around for a couple hours on that miserable POS and came back at 12 to see my bike being rolled into the garage.

I sat there for 3 hours on the porch, waiting for it to get fixed and finally at 3:30 they rolled it out. Guess what - first thing I hear is the exact same rattle I complained about when I came in! I told the guy right away but of course he couldn't hear anything! As previously, it was just my imagination. He says "These bikes are generally rather noisy. I have an MT-09 and my engine is as noisy as yours".

So we walk to his bike, he starts it up and it's like two different bikes! His is quiet, no rattles, he pulls his clutch in and there is no difference in sound. I pull mine halfway in and it's like someone's shaking an empty can full of nails. Eventually another mechanic came out (all in their 50's), says he's generally deaf and can't hear any noises, listens to my bike and says "Nah, can't hear anything. It's a normal engine sound. They all get noisier with the time and probably yours is not an exception".

After long discussions I realised that there was no point in arguing because it's me, just a noob versus two experienced mechanics, and decided to go home as it was already late. That's when I get presented with a £180 bill for those 3 hours of work!!! I was speechless to say the least. The reason for it taking so long apparently was because it was a PITA to put the clutch cover back on as there is something that just keeps falling out of position as soon as you release it. Don't ask me what it is though...

So now I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of pounds trying to get this bike to a working order and I'm still where I was and I'm still getting told it's just my imagination.

I'll be writing an email to Yamaha complaining about all the issues I've had with dealers and the bike with links to this forum to support my claims. I'm beyond pi**ed off with the whole thing, I'm sick of starting the bike up every morning and hearing that bloody rattling which apparently is just my imagination, I'm sick of being rejected by dealers because they can't be arsed to do warranty repairs and I'm tired of being treated like an idiot.

I'm now at the point where I don't care how much money I'll lose by selling the bike and cancelling my insurance but if there's nothing Yamaha can or want to do then their product is not for me.

On a side note - is there anything anyone would want me to mention in the email? Any issues I've forgotten about (camchain tensioner, glitchy dashes, brake hose rubbing against the swingarm)?

Thanks in advance! Off to take a chillpill...

Last edited:

dapsmt09

Reaction score
That's really shit to hear Cypher, I feel your pain.

Its under warranty so why are you paying for any thing? Surely it should all be covered!!!!

Not good enough service at all by your dealer that. I really hope you get sorted mate especially as it is an awesome bike when it has no faults.

Please keep us all informed of your issues.

Cheers daps:rolleyes:

Spot

Reaction score
It sounds like shocking dealer service and you shouldn't have to take this shit.
Yamaha need to respond and sort the dealers out.

Personally, I love my MT-09. I've had to visit my head office in Swindon today so took the chance to use the bike and my commute this morning was a 100 mile blast through the sunny Cotswolds and I was thinking that this could be the best bike I've ever owned (and I've had some wicked machinery in the past).
But i've had nothing go wrong with mine. If i'd been subjected to the indifferent dealer service you've had i'd imagine it would sour my love of the bike and this is why Yamaha need to sort it out if they want our repeat business.

W8ENN

Reaction score
I would hit their social media! Do these dealers have Facebook pages? I know Yamaha do and they don't like their dirty laundry washed in public!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MT account

im pretty sure its illegal to refuse warranty repairs just because you didnt buy it there so contact trading standards on that as well as yamaha.

......ive got a workshop full of dead bikes so 1 more wouldnt hurt......how much for the rattler? ;)

Cypher

Reaction score
I sent them an email when the camchain tensioner failed the second time and the dealer 5 minutes away from my house refused the repairs. This was their response:

Yamaha said:
Naturally we are sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem with you Yamaha motorcycle, the details of which have been noted and placed on file.

In an effort to assist, we have been in contact with the dealers you have mentioned and would in this instance kindly suggest, that you please contact Colin in the Service Department at the Motorcycle Store, on telephone number xxxx xxx xxxx who is in a position to inspect your machine.

Subsequently, they will then be able to discuss their findings with our Technical and Warranty staff, regarding any subsequent warranty claim on your behalf.

We are sorry that it has been necessary for you to contact us and apologise for any inconvenience incurred, We also trust that through the above dealer, this matter may be successfully resolved.
Note that there's no mention of the "guilty" dealer so I guess no one got punished. After all dealers make Yamaha money so why punish them.

I called Colin the same week but they didn't have time to do it on that Saturday so I ended up going to Lamba again. Might speak to them, they seem like a nice bunch of guys. Bought my previous bike from them and was rather pleased with the level of service. But then again, I was with Lamba too at first...

RipGroove

Reaction score
Failing that give Skellerns in Worcester a call, so far they've been very helpful to me, but I've not had to raise any warranty work either yet.

Sent from outer space

stevecbr

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your having problems, have started to notice mine rattles sometimes, but its sods law it never does it at dealers. Went for 100 miles ride earlier today to Suffolk coast, and I have to agree with Spot, was the best ride I have ever had. Sports bike are to fast, and I end up frustrated (CBR's R1, ZX636 etc), and smaller bikes are to slow (DRZ400, XT600,FMX650). The MT is perfect for what I use it for, and I was even getting 55mpg on a steady run.

As for price, I reckon £5500 to £5800 for a private sale

Birdy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your hassle mate . Only prob with mine is the CC adjuster, but my dealers been dragging their feet too .Finally put in a warranty claim for me , so i expect it to arrive between next saturday and doomsday :(

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As the topic title says - how much would my bike fetch if I was to sell it now? Got a few protectors installed and a radiator guard. Stock pipe and 2100 miles.

I'm getting seriously close to doing that as it seems that Yamaha doesn't give a s**t about their customers. I already posted my experience with Woodford Motorcycles (an authorised Yamaha dealership) who point blank refused to do any warranty repairs on my bike saying that I was only a secondary customer to them not having bought the bike from them.

On Saturday I went to my dealer (Lamba) to get the noise on the left side of the engine fixed. And as they would supposedly be taking the engine covers off, also replace my scratched covers and install the T-Rex protectors.

I was there at 9am. They had no courtesy bikes anymore because their boss had realised that renting them out makes him more money than keeping them for their customers. The only one left to rent was a YBR125, which I decided to get not to rot in that place for the whole day but was presented with a £35 bill for mere 5 hours of use! Eventually I negotiated down to £20, rode around for a couple hours on that miserable POS and came back at 12 to see my bike being rolled into the garage.

I sat there for 3 hours on the porch, waiting for it to get fixed and finally at 3:30 they rolled it out. Guess what - first thing I hear is the exact same rattle I complained about when I came in! I told the guy right away but of course he couldn't hear anything! As previously, it was just my imagination. He says "These bikes are generally rather noisy. I have an MT-09 and my engine is as noisy as yours".

So we walk to his bike, he starts it up and it's like two different bikes! His is quiet, no rattles, he pulls his clutch in and there is no difference in sound. I pull mine halfway in and it's like someone's shaking an empty can full of nails. Eventually another mechanic came out (all in their 50's), says he's generally deaf and can't hear any noises, listens to my bike and says "Nah, can't hear anything. It's a normal engine sound. They all get noisier with the time and probably yours is not an exception".

After long discussions I realised that there was no point in arguing because it's me, just a noob versus two experienced mechanics, and decided to go home as it was already late. That's when I get presented with a £180 bill for those 3 hours of work!!! I was speechless to say the least. The reason for it taking so long apparently was because it was a PITA to put the clutch cover back on as there is something that just keeps falling out of position as soon as you release it. Don't ask me what it is though...

So now I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of pounds trying to get this bike to a working order and I'm still where I was and I'm still getting told it's just my imagination.

I'll be writing an email to Yamaha complaining about all the issues I've had with dealers and the bike with links to this forum to support my claims. I'm beyond pi**ed off with the whole thing, I'm sick of starting the bike up every morning and hearing that bloody rattling which apparently is just my imagination, I'm sick of being rejected by dealers because they can't be arsed to do warranty repairs and I'm tired of being treated like an idiot.

I'm now at the point where I don't care how much money I'll lose by selling the bike and cancelling my insurance but if there's nothing Yamaha can or want to do then their product is not for me.

On a side note - is there anything anyone would want me to mention in the email? Any issues I've forgotten about (camchain tensioner, glitchy dashes, brake hose rubbing against the swingarm)?

Thanks in advance! Off to take a chillpill...
Cypher do me a favour...!

Before u sell this bike can u please come see me at pro-bike in Newbury. It's a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership and have some of the best mechanics in the region working there. Dom for instance has been voted best Suzuki mechanic 2 years in a row. Curly the workshop manager will probably listen to the rattle and instantly tell u the cause of it. Warranty work IS NOT A PROBLEM HERE..! and I'm certain the rattling noise can be sourced and fixed in no time.

Just let me know and I will get u booked in.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

RipGroove

Reaction score

Before u sell this bike can u please come see me at pro-bike in Newbury. It's a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership and have some of the best mechanics in the region working there. Dom for instance has been voted best Suzuki mechanic 2 years in a row. Curly the workshop manager will probably listen to the rattle and instantly tell u the cause of it. Warranty work IS NOT A PROBLEM HERE..! and I'm certain the rattling noise can be sourced and fixed in no time.

Just let me know and I will get u booked in.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!
^^ Do that!

Sent from outer space

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi Cypher,

I am really sorry to learn about your bad experiences with the bike and also with a few of Yamaha's dealers.

I'd love to help you with whatever i can - i have been working with customer service for nearly a decade.Had my troubles with the bike market in UK before aswell.
Some of it might sound as sour grapes as well though - but here goes.

First of all, when mailing Yamaha, use a more plain and clean language. Express your concerns rather than tell them how pi**ed off you are with their product/service etc.
When they suggest you to go to another dealer and talk to a certain person, take up their offer and follow it through. Even if it means you have to come in n a Tuesday at 13:00 or whatever for you inconvenient time. Clearly Yamaha have put effort in to tell the specified dealer about your problem and asked them to deal with it directly.
Unfortunately it seems like it is yourself that turns their offer down - I'd suggest you go back to the provided dealer again, and leave the bike with them for the time they need to discuss the issues directly with Yamaha's technical staff.
If you have any concerns about their ability to fix the problem, e.g they admit they can't hear, when they need to listen - express this concern to Yamaha; letting them know you'd be more confident, if a better skilled person can be arranged to take care of the investigation, even if it means you need to take it to another dealer.
once you "obey" their request, you can set up requests to them - but make sure these request are fair; if e.g. you're asked to travel 150 miles to go to another dealer, they arrange for return or a loan vehicle.

Going into more details of your post, you say you where presented with a bill.
I assume this is for this work:
And as they would supposedly be taking the engine covers off, also replace my scratched covers and install the T-Rex protectors.
Did you agree with the dealer, how this work would be split into warranty claim and your own request, prior to the work being started?
If not, I'm sorry to say, you are in a less great position to negotiate the bill. Now, i don't know the specification of the invoice, but i assume that some money is also for the cover it self? Workshop hours are not cheap, and i wouldn't be surprised of seeing £55+VAT per hour.

Then there is the courtesy bike.
Unfortunately there is no where in the warranty booklet it mention Yamaha will provide a courtesy vehicle for free, while an investigation is undergoing. They are not able to say what the specific dealer have of vehicles, if any.
You managed to get the bill settled at £20 instead of £35. Thats a 40% saving and is absolutely worth having in consideration as well.
Did you fill the fuel back on, that you used, when you handed it back?
Another thing, you might want to have in mind when contacting Yamaha, is making sure the arithmatic fits, as you say you where there for 9am, and was back at 12 to see your bike being rolled in, but you had the bike out for 5 hours.
This is just for you to earn "easy points" (if i can call it that) - making your experience more trustworthy and with the result of getting taking seriously straight away. If there's holes in the stories, then it's harder to fight your case.

As for the dealer denying to give you warranty service, i wold challenge that with the director and Yamaha.
Here you can be straight to the point, and let both know, that your consumer rights have not been met.
I wouldn't go back to the dealer though - they have already told between the lines, they don't want to deal with you - and even if Yamaha then would put a foot down and say they eventually should; i wouldn't trust them. Their loss - but it absolutely needs addressing. One point towards your case for doing it ;)

What about trying another dealer anyway as well - maybe Triple Trouble's friend - i believe you are not living that far from each other?
Get a second opinion if possible, that can back your case.
Soon Yamaha will dance to whichever tune you'd play :)

With regards to giving up and selling your bike - that is an option, too. Personally i'd be sad to hear you leave us and the MT-family.
Though, test the waters for a p/x instead, that will also ease the thing with your insurance, as you don't have to cancel that, but just change of vehicle, which is usually much cheaper.

I hope this can be to any benefit for you - i don't guarantee it though - but you are likely to be in a much better position.

Happy days!

Stripy

Reaction score

Yes, indeed - well done, Triple.
I'm confident your mate's shop can do the tricks needed to please Cypher
It took me a bit of time to write my little story, but i fully support the suggestion :)

Cypher

Reaction score
Thank you so much guys for all your time and your answers! I really didn't expect such advice, especially you, SuperMotoBoy! This is the reason why I'm spending my evening here, because of you all :)

Also thanks a lot to you too, Triple! I'd be eternally grateful if you could arrange some time for me on one of the weekends. Even this one will do.

I'll hold off from writing the letter to Yamaha yet. Not really in the mood to do it. Feel very down for some reason.

To answer some of your questions, SMB:
  • When Yamaha suggested me to talk to Colin in the Shepherds Bush dealership, I had already booked time for that Saturday with Lamba. When I called Colin he said they didn't have any spare time left that week and as the bike was rattling so bad it was getting scary to ride I opted to go to Lamba.
  • Regarding the bill - as I mentioned in some other threads, I had the misfortune of lowsiding the bike back in November and I scratched my engine covers on the right side. Then I had the ones on the other side scratched by thieves who dropped the bike trying to knick it. To make my bike look like new I decided to replace the casings and as an added bonus install some engine protectors.

I ended up paying almost £300 for all 3 replacements plus a bit more for the T-Rex engine covers and the legendary tampons. Lamba called me a couple months ago saying that the covers had arrived so I went to see them (5 weeks ago or so). After an hour's work they replaced my camchain tensioner with the revised one as well as one of the 3 covers. They couldn't replace the other two as there are some bearings machined into them that they couldn't get out to put into the new casings. Obviously they didn't have them in stock either so I ended up waiting a few more weeks till they get delivered. That session already cost me £70, which should have included the warranty work but looks like didn't.

I rode away from the shop and heard a very muted half-rattling noise coming from the (this time) left side of the engine. I turned around after a mile and went back to complain. They shop manager came out, listened to it but said he couldn't hear anything. I rode away but was convinced that there WAS a noise so went back again. This time two senior mechanics came out, one of them half deaf (as he himself noted), the other one the type of person who "doesn't listen to noises on his bikes". Surprise, surprise, they couldn't hear anything either so after standing there like an idiot for a while I decided to ride home hoping that the noise would become more audible at some point and I could prove it was there.

A couple weeks ago, after not receiving any calls from them, it turned out that the bearings had arrived so I scheduled time with them for the last week's Saturday. I specifically said that I wanted them to fix the noise, but as they would supposedly be taking some covers off the engine, I would also like to replace them with the new ones plus install some protectors.

I arrived there at 9am, left the bike, paid for the courtesy bike (said I'd have it till around 2) and rode off. The YBR was so rubbish that I didn't feel like riding it much so I went back to the dealership and was there at 12:10 only to see my bike getting wheeled into the garage. I decided it wouldn't take too long so I returned the keys to the YBR and started waiting...

I waited for around 3 hours as shortly after 3 o'clock they wheeled the bike out while I was sitting there on the pavement. First thing I notice - the rattling was still there! I told him right away that the noise was still there. He took it out for a test ride, came back and as expected said "Nope, can't hear any noises. I have an MT-09 and my engine sounds the same". I tried revving the bike for a bit but as always, the noise wasn't there when I needed it the most. So, of course, they gave me all the possible reasons why I'm hearing (bikes getting louder with time, loosening up, my imagination, blah, blah). Anyway...

They happily billed me £180 for 3 hours of work in which no warranty repairs were made (I saw the guy working on my bike pop out for lunch while I was there too but I guess that's all included in the bill). From what they said, they spent all the time trying to replace the clutch cover because of some tricky part underneath it. I'm not going to question whether it's true or not but I'm a bit disappointed to say the least that it takes 3 hours of my time and £180 of my money for a trained/certified Yamaha mechanic to replace one ***** engine cover.
  • Regarding other things, like the courtesy bike, I'm not really complaining. It just added to the whole negative experience. I had already left a large amount of money with them and had been there some 4 times prior to this one (and HAD a courtesy bike given first couple times) so I wasn't expecting them to try and charge me more for a YBR than it would cost to rent a car.

Right now I'm back to square one - being shunned by yet another dealer not willing to do any warranty repairs (I wouldn't be surprised if they can hear the noise but just won't admit it), still with the rattling present (was much worse this evening when I started the bike) and no obvious solution other than use help of friends like you.

If Triple can arrange me a visit with Dom one day and Dom really is that good (which I believe he is) then he will surely be able to hear what I'm hearing. I'm unlucky in the way that I have a very good hearing and I sometimes hear things others can't but the current noise is so obvious when you ride at 2.5-3k revs that a skilled mechanic should be able to hear it.

Once again, thank you everyone for your time and effort and I'll speak to Triple personally about what we can do. :)

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Once you finally get it diagnosed and fixed you really need to make a point of going back to your dealership and firing the fucks in to them about it.

Sent from outer space

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Sounds like you could be on your way to getting it fixed.
You ought to find another mt owner to have the ride up with you and swap bikes and compare notes. Its called sods law that a mechanic gets on a bike and the noise just stops for them ( been there ).
Ive got the dreaded tensioner rattle just started. So I'll be following in everyone else's footsteps pretty soon :p

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Cypher

Reaction score
I think I managed to record the noise that I have. Have a go at this:
[video=youtube_share;ZOuykCf65RU]http://youtu.be/ZOuykCf65RU[/video]

Alternatively, I uploaded the original clip to here.

Can you hear it? CAN YOU!? :)
Might need to turn the volume up but you should be able to hear it.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Just plugged in headphones and turned to full volume, there may be a slight noise but nothing I would really worry about.
The way to pinpoint noise is to place a long screwdriver (not a rubber handled one), with the pointy end on the part you want to listed to, and listen at the handle end of the screwdriver.(Put your ear up close to the handle and listen) It works like a doctors stephoscope. Place it on the barrels, and you should hear the pistons moving, the head and you'll hear the cam gear. I'm guessing the left cover covers the generator, which will obviously be spinning fast close to magnets to generate power. Its possible that something has not been fitted right, but if it has it will pack up before the warrenty is out, and will be replaced FOC