Curious, how much I'd get for my bike if I sold it now

Cypher

Reaction score
So, finally there's an "end" to my story. Yamaha finally responded to me after I took the bike to my dealer and here's what they have to say:
Further to our previous email, we are now in a position to respond, in relation to your concerns regarding your above Yamaha MT-09

As you are aware, our Technical staff have been in contact with Lamba Motorcycles, regarding your concerns in relation to an engine noise. During their discussions, it was suggested that it may be beneficial for our Technical staff to visit Lamba Motorcycles, to check and road test your machine. In an effort to assist, this was arranged for the 21 May, when two of our Technical representatives visited Lamba Motorcycles and for evaluation purpose's, travelling on comparable models of MT-09. Subsequently, after a visual inspection of your machine, each of our representatives carried out an extended road test, riding at differing engine and road speeds, over a variety of conditions and distances, whereby your machine operated faultlessly at all times and in a manner commensurate with any other typical examples of this model of Yamaha motorcycle. Whilst a slight noise may be heard from the Clutch Thrust Bearing, this is in keeping with its operation and as such, the dealer and Yamaha Motor (UK) Ltd consider no further remedial action is required.

Naturally we are sorry that you are possibly unhappy with some aspect of your motorcycle. Nevertheless, in finding your Yamaha MT-09 commensurate with other examples of this model and our extensive testing concluding positive, we have to advise that from a technical point, that no further action is necessary.

We hope that our above comments may help to alleviate any concerns you may have had and trust that you may now enjoy the many benefits of owning, your Yamaha MT-09.
So there you go. They are admitting there is a noise but as long as it's within a "threshold" it's fine and noone's gonna do anything. Thinking now if I should bother fixing it from my own pocket or just sell the bike when I have a full year's worth of NCB.

M

MT account

anyone got a w/shop diagram or a photo of whats inside the clutch cover? id like to see how its set up in there..

RipGroove

Reaction score
So, finally there's an "end" to my story. Yamaha finally responded to me after I took the bike to my dealer and here's what they have to say:

So there you go. They are admitting there is a noise but as long as it's within a "threshold" it's fine and noone's gonna do anything. Thinking now if I should bother fixing it from my own pocket or just sell the bike when I have a full year's worth of NCB.
I knew they'd fob you off in writing. I know it's a pain but if it was me I'd just get it fixed myself now, at least the bike will be back to what you knew and loved. At least then if anything is found broken or worn you caj email the pics and details to Yamaha with a big "I told you so" and a bill for the work done.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude if u want the work doing let me know and we can get it sorted for u

MT-09. Wheelie Wheelie Mental

Spot

Reaction score
Or...... Get an Akra without a cat, remove the baffle and I swear you will hear no more rattling noises from your engine.
:)

M

MT account

Try here, about half way down the page is the catalogue, navigate to the bike and parts: Yamaha Motor UK
top man for that:cool: cant see anything out of the norm in there to make that rattly noise. the bearing is no. 7. as far as i can see the pushrod (15) is geared to the actuator shaft and drawn towards it when you pull the clutch in. cant really see any more without taking the cover back off. am i right that you had the cover replaced? if so, did it make the noise before then?
clutch.jpg
pic didnt load 1st time ???

Last edited by a moderator:

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Ok so I took a look at the diagram, am I right in thinking you pull the clutch, the shaft rotates and the gear pulls the pushrod via that bearing no 7 and lifts the pressure plate? roller bearings should not be loaded like that surely? they are designed for axial loads and not for their middles being pulled, usually one would be using a Torrington race for an application such as this, that's a flat bearing with long thin rollers that fan out from the centre.

M

MT account

Ok so I took a look at the diagram, am I right in thinking you pull the clutch, the shaft rotates and the gear pulls the pushrod via that bearing no 7 and lifts the pressure plate? roller bearings should not be loaded like that surely? they are designed for axial loads and not for their middles being pulled, usually one would be using a Torrington race for an application such as this, that's a flat bearing with long thin rollers that fan out from the centre.
she knows y'know! thats what im thinking, plus if the cover was changed and the shaft swopped over from the other cover it would make me suspect something isnt fitted correctly.....unless the noise was there before cover swop. ?

.....and the (less) rattly noise we all get is that release bearing

Cypher

Reaction score
Sorry, guys, been off the forum for a while. Had loads to do lately and wasn't in the mood to think about bike repairs.

To answer your question MT - I had all 3 covers replaced and didn't have that noise before they took them off.
That's why I had been fighting with the dealership to get it sorted. Here's the result though, or the lack of it thereof...

I checked the odometre when I picked the bike up after Yamaha reps rode it and I it had 80 miles on it. When I filled it up I got 58.9mpg(!) whilst my best consumption so far riding on mixed roads is 44.1mpg, which leads me to believe that they just rode it on country roads at high, constant speeds and didn't even bother testing it in city conditions (which is what I have all the time and where to noise is the most prevalent).

I'll probably be arranging something with guys in Newbury a few weeks from now on but for now I just need to have a couple weeks without having to go to a dealership. Thanks TT for the offer, I'll be sure to use it! :)

If nothing can be done then as I mentioned I'll think about selling it around August when I get a full year's worth of NCB. Maybe... The thought of getting a sportsbike is creeping into my head more and more often :)