Curious, how much I'd get for my bike if I sold it now

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As the topic title says - how much would my bike fetch if I was to sell it now? Got a few protectors installed and a radiator guard. Stock pipe and 2100 miles.

I'm getting seriously close to doing that as it seems that Yamaha doesn't give a s**t about their customers. I already posted my experience with Woodford Motorcycles (an authorised Yamaha dealership) who point blank refused to do any warranty repairs on my bike saying that I was only a secondary customer to them not having bought the bike from them.

On Saturday I went to my dealer (Lamba) to get the noise on the left side of the engine fixed. And as they would supposedly be taking the engine covers off, also replace my scratched covers and install the T-Rex protectors.

I was there at 9am. They had no courtesy bikes anymore because their boss had realised that renting them out makes him more money than keeping them for their customers. The only one left to rent was a YBR125, which I decided to get not to rot in that place for the whole day but was presented with a £35 bill for mere 5 hours of use! Eventually I negotiated down to £20, rode around for a couple hours on that miserable POS and came back at 12 to see my bike being rolled into the garage.

I sat there for 3 hours on the porch, waiting for it to get fixed and finally at 3:30 they rolled it out. Guess what - first thing I hear is the exact same rattle I complained about when I came in! I told the guy right away but of course he couldn't hear anything! As previously, it was just my imagination. He says "These bikes are generally rather noisy. I have an MT-09 and my engine is as noisy as yours".

So we walk to his bike, he starts it up and it's like two different bikes! His is quiet, no rattles, he pulls his clutch in and there is no difference in sound. I pull mine halfway in and it's like someone's shaking an empty can full of nails. Eventually another mechanic came out (all in their 50's), says he's generally deaf and can't hear any noises, listens to my bike and says "Nah, can't hear anything. It's a normal engine sound. They all get noisier with the time and probably yours is not an exception".

After long discussions I realised that there was no point in arguing because it's me, just a noob versus two experienced mechanics, and decided to go home as it was already late. That's when I get presented with a £180 bill for those 3 hours of work!!! I was speechless to say the least. The reason for it taking so long apparently was because it was a PITA to put the clutch cover back on as there is something that just keeps falling out of position as soon as you release it. Don't ask me what it is though...

So now I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of pounds trying to get this bike to a working order and I'm still where I was and I'm still getting told it's just my imagination.

I'll be writing an email to Yamaha complaining about all the issues I've had with dealers and the bike with links to this forum to support my claims. I'm beyond pi**ed off with the whole thing, I'm sick of starting the bike up every morning and hearing that bloody rattling which apparently is just my imagination, I'm sick of being rejected by dealers because they can't be arsed to do warranty repairs and I'm tired of being treated like an idiot.

I'm now at the point where I don't care how much money I'll lose by selling the bike and cancelling my insurance but if there's nothing Yamaha can or want to do then their product is not for me.

On a side note - is there anything anyone would want me to mention in the email? Any issues I've forgotten about (camchain tensioner, glitchy dashes, brake hose rubbing against the swingarm)?

Thanks in advance! Off to take a chillpill...
I hear (pardon the pun)! Lol that ur not going mad and there IS a noise coming from the left hand side and that something can be done about it...!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

RipGroove

Reaction score
I hear (pardon the pun)! Lol that ur not going mad and there IS a noise coming from the left hand side and that something can be done about it...!

Are we closer to getting this diagnosed and fixed?

Sent from outer space

Cypher

Reaction score
Haha, this is almost like a Mexican soap opera now :D

Well, woke up at 12 and saw it was sunny so decided to head for a ride. And what better goal than visiting good mechanics and possibly TT and Chris. Unfortunately didn't meet any of them but what's more important found the Pro Bike store.

Long story short - they start the bike up, start revving it at different RPM's but even I can tell that the noise is not quite there. Damn it!

One thing I thought started suspecting yesterday was that the noise is usually (not exclusively) audible when I ride, meaning the bike is in gear. That would explain why no one can ever hear it as I'm trying to demonstrate it while it's stationary. So I suggested Michael to put it in second gear and see if it appears. Same thing - nothing. He does a loop around the compound, nothing. Then rides into the garage and disappears. I thought they'd put it on a dyno and see if the noise comes back but suddenly I see the headlight appear in the dark and the mechanic takes off for a test ride! Fingers crossed...

Some 10 minutes later he returns, takes his helmet off (my heart is in my mouth at that moment :D) and says - there is definitely some noise! That was like rock off my shoulders! It's not just me and my imagination. Someone else can actually hear it! :D

He couldn't quite tell what it was but after standing there for a while and me explaining the whole situation about my dealer taking the casings off, trying to get the bearings out, not being able to and putting the casings back, led him to believe that someone has screwed something up with, first, trying to get the bearings out of the clutch casing (which is apparently impossible and which would explain why I noticed the noise after they took the old casings off) and second, when installing the new bearings into the new casings. He says it's possible that they dislodged or twisted the bearing in the old casing when they tried to get it out and probably pushed it in too hard into the new replacement casing.

He said he wouldn't really want to get involved at this point and just fix someone else's fault as it's now a Yamaha issue, which I totally understand, plus they're booked 6 weeks in advance anyway.

So what I'm gonna do now is contact Yamaha, explain the whole situation and see what they will do. Michael said he doesn't object if I mention Pro Bike to Yamaha and and said if needed Yamaha can call him and he'll explain all the findings.

As you can see, overall very promising and positive. As TT promised, the guys at the shop are awesome. Very friendly and totally different from the ones I usually go to. The shop is nice and big too so might actually go to them when I buy my litre bike at some point :)

Will keep you all posted and let you know what Yamaha have to say about it. Mike said Dom at their customer services is very helpful so here's hoping!...

RipGroove

Reaction score
Haha, this is almost like a Mexican soap opera now :D

Well, woke up at 12 and saw it was sunny so decided to head for a ride. And what better goal than visiting good mechanics and possibly TT and Chris. Unfortunately didn't meet any of them but what's more important found the Pro Bike store.

Long story short - they start the bike up, start revving it at different RPM's but even I can tell that the noise is not quite there. Damn it!

One thing I thought started suspecting yesterday was that the noise is usually (not exclusively) audible when I ride, meaning the bike is in gear. That would explain why no one can ever hear it as I'm trying to demonstrate it while it's stationary. So I suggested Michael to put it in second gear and see if it appears. Same thing - nothing. He does a loop around the compound, nothing. Then rides into the garage and disappears. I thought they'd put it on a dyno and see if the noise comes back but suddenly I see the headlight appear in the dark and the mechanic takes off for a test ride! Fingers crossed...

Some 10 minutes later he returns, takes his helmet off (my heart is in my mouth at that moment :D) and says - there is definitely some noise! That was like rock off my shoulders! It's not just me and my imagination. Someone else can actually hear it! :D

He couldn't quite tell what it was but after standing there for a while and me explaining the whole situation about my dealer taking the casings off, trying to get the bearings out, not being able to and putting the casings back, led him to believe that someone has screwed something up with, first, trying to get the bearings out of the clutch casing (which is apparently impossible and which would explain why I noticed the noise after they took the old casings off) and second, when installing the new bearings into the new casings. He says it's possible that they dislodged or twisted the bearing in the old casing when they tried to get it out and probably pushed it in too hard into the new replacement casing.

He said he wouldn't really want to get involved at this point and just fix someone else's fault as it's now a Yamaha issue, which I totally understand, plus they're booked 6 weeks in advance anyway.

So what I'm gonna do now is contact Yamaha, explain the whole situation and see what they will do. Michael said he doesn't object if I mention Pro Bike to Yamaha and and said if needed Yamaha can call him and he'll explain all the findings.

As you can see, overall very promising and positive. As TT promised, the guys at the shop are awesome. Very friendly and totally different from the ones I usually go to. The shop is nice and big too so might actually go to them when I buy my litre bike at some point :)

Will keep you all posted and let you know what Yamaha have to say about it. Mike said Dom at their customer services is very helpful so here's hoping!...
Awesome news dude, sounds like it's heading in the right direction then, keep us posted as this is good info for all of us!

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As TT promised, the guys at the shop are awesome. Very friendly and totally different from the ones I usually go to. The shop is nice and big too so might actually go to them when I buy my litre bike at some point :)
Im so glad u came here to see the guys. I believe the mechanic was Steve who took ur bike for a test ride which makes perfect sense to me as he owns a VERY old but in perfect condition Ducati so he is well used to "strange" and "unusual" noises lol.

Steve usually does the work on my bikes unless it's Dyno related then Dom plays with them.

I literally missed u by 2 minutes today. I wanted to stay and say hi but I had to get back home. I left for work at 5:30 this mornin so was pretty knackered as well lol.

Cypher

Reaction score
So, a quick update.

Sent a loooooooong (you know me, I like explaining everything in detail) email to Yamaha on Monday and they replied today. Here's what they said:
We have in this instance referred the contents of your email to our Technical Service Department, who has been in contact with Pro-Bike and Lamba Motorcycles, regarding your concerns. Subsequently, after discussing this matter with both dealers, our Technical staff would on this occasion kindly suggest and advise, that your machine goes back to Lamba Motorcycles for further investigation. Could you therefore, please contact Kevin in the Service Department at Lamba Motorcycles, on telephone number xxxx xxx xxxx who is aware of the situation and will make the necessary arrangements for the further inspection. Upon inspection, Lamba Motorcycles will then report their findings back to our Technical staff, for any appropriate advice and assistance, regarding any repair and warranty claim, that is required.
So I called Lamba after work but Kevin wasn't there so will have to call back tomorrow. One thing I found interesting was when saying that I can only do Saturdays the reply was "I doubt the Yamaha representative is available on weekends so I'm afraid it will have to be a weekday". I guess that means there will be someone from Yamaha overseeing the whole thing.

Also he said they would need my bike for the whole day, which is I guess a good thing. Just need to clarify 1) if I will get a replacement bike for that time as I can't get home or work if they decide to keep it for longer than that and 2) who will pay for my time off work if it has to be a working day, because I'm contracting and every day off costs me lots of money. I've already lost a lot of time (and money) with this bike and the last thing I'd like to do is take yet another day off...

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, a quick update.

Sent a loooooooong (you know me, I like explaining everything in detail) email to Yamaha on Monday and they replied today. Here's what they said:

So I called Lamba after work but Kevin wasn't there so will have to call back tomorrow. One thing I found interesting was when saying that I can only do Saturdays the reply was "I doubt the Yamaha representative is available on weekends so I'm afraid it will have to be a weekday". I guess that means there will be someone from Yamaha overseeing the whole thing.

Also he said they would need my bike for the whole day, which is I guess a good thing. Just need to clarify 1) if I will get a replacement bike for that time as I can't get home or work if they decide to keep it for longer than that and 2) who will pay for my time off work if it has to be a working day, because I'm contracting and every day off costs me lots of money. I've already lost a lot of time (and money) with this bike and the last thing I'd like to do is take yet another day off...
That's good news isn't it...
glad ur finally headed in the right direction

Cypher

Reaction score
Quick update to my situation.

Called the dealer on Wednesday but the guy I was supposed to talk to wasn't in. So I called back on Friday. They said I'd have to leave the bike with them somewhere between the 9 and 13 of May as Yamaha representative would be coming in on one of those days! I guess shit hit the fan and Yamaha want to see what the issue is in person :D

I asked him if they would have a courtesy bike to give me as I wouldn't be able to get home on that day let alone to work the following days. His answer was - I'm afraid they're all rented out and we won't have anything to give you to what I replied that I'd write another email to Yamaha and ask if there's anything they can do.

So I did and also suggested in the email that if possible I would like to to the "exchange" of goods on a Saturday because due to the nature of my work it's not that easy for me to take time off during the week.

Obviously, they've not responded to me yet because of all the holidays but if they do and say they can't arrange anything then I won't be travelling to my dealer on a business day, leaving my bike with them for god knows how long, spend several hours trying to get home on numerous trains and then find means of getting to work on the subsequent days.

The noise in the meantime is getting very VERY loud, I'm starting to think there's something grinding inside. Maybe a bearing like guys at ProBike said, maybe something else but it's rough and I can feel it in my handlebars.
I don't care though, I'll keep riding it like I do all the time and if something blows up inside then I'll just say that guys at Lamba told me that that was the way the engine is supposed to sound and that I should just get used to it. After all there was no noise and it was all just my imagination, right? :D

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Introducing the all-new 2014 FZ-09, a naked sports roadster powered by an all-new liquid-cooled, 850 cc in-line 3-cylinder, fuel-injected engine. The FZ-09 has been developed around the concept of a "Synchronized Performance", that allows a rider to enjoy the feeling of complete control in typical everyday riding situations. In other words, the FZ-09 has been designed to respond to your every command.

/// Power

Slim, compact, 847cc, DOHC, 12 valves (4-valves/cyl), liquid-cooled, 42.5 degree inclined, inline-three cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low to mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.

View attachment 1 View attachment 2 View attachment 3

/// Engine

Engine
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 12-valve, inline-three cylinder
Displacement
847cc
Bore and Stroke
78 x 59.1 mm
Compression Ratio
11.5:1
Maximum Torque
8.9 kg-m (64.3 ft-lbs.) @ 8,500 rpm
Engine Management
YCC-T & D-Mode (3 positions)
Fuel Delivery
Mikuni 41mm throttle body F.I.
Lubrication
Wet sump
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
Transmission
6-speed
Final Drive
"O"-ring chain

/// Chassis

Suspension (Front)
Adjustable 41mm inverted fork
Suspension (Rear)
Adjustable link Monocross
Brakes (Front)
Dual 310mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers
Brakes (Rear)
245mm disc / single piston caliper
Tires (Front)
120/70ZR17
Tires (Rear)
180/55ZR17

/// Critical Data

Length
2,075mm (81.7")
Width
815mm (32.1")
Height
1,135mm (44.7")
Wheelbase
1,440mm (56.7")
Rake / Trail
25° / 103mm
Seat Height
815mm (32.1")
Fuel Capacity
14 litres (3.1 imp. gallons)
Wet Weight
188 kg (414 lb.)
Colour(s)
Vivid Red
Dark Metallic Grey
Awesome, hope they sort it out.

Sent from outer space

Chris West

Reaction score
Im sorry that you are experiencing this crap Cypher. This is customer care from the fekin dark ages.
I spent 13 years in the motor trade as a workshop manager for a Renault franchise and to be fair 'intermittent noises' can be a nightmare (perhaps only surpassed by water leaks).
Ive seen that a lot in the motorcycle industry. It seems like the motor trade was 20 years ago.
Maybe thats because this kind of bike is largely sold to enthusiasts. I guess a sellers market?
Im sure that our warranty does not cover us for alternative transport or inconvenience.
For this we are relying on good will.
If they are not responding to you emails, who can you cc? MCN, Dept Fair Trade??
Re: Social media campaign. This is an area in which we can all participate.
I am happy to engage in this if you think it will help mate

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im sorry that you are experiencing this crap Cypher. This is customer care from the fekin dark ages.
I spent 13 years in the motor trade as a workshop manager for a Renault franchise and to be fair 'intermittent noises' can be a nightmare (perhaps only surpassed by water leaks).
Ive seen that a lot in the motorcycle industry. It seems like the motor trade was 20 years ago.
Maybe thats because this kind of bike is largely sold to enthusiasts. I guess a sellers market?
Im sure that our warranty does not cover us for alternative transport or inconvenience.
For this we are relying on good will.
If they are not responding to you emails, who can you cc? MCN, Dept Fair Trade??
Re: Social media campaign. This is an area in which we can all participate.
I am happy to engage in this if you think it will help mate
I tried helping by getting pro-bike to have a look/listen so if anything, he can go to Yamaha and say it's not all in his head so to speak. Pro-bike have offered to speak to Yamaha and answer any questions they have about their findings... fingers crossed it all gets sorted..

Cypher

Reaction score
No, no! It's not all that bad, guys :) Pro Bike confirmed that there is a noise and Yamaha have contacted both dealers and asked me to arrange a visit with Lamba (the ones that screwed it up). I only emailed Yamaha on Friday but Don Manley, the support person that I have dealt with so far is out of office till, I think, 7th. So hopefully he'll reply to me in the next day or two.

Lamba said they've rented all courtesy bikes out but we'll see what Yamaha have to say. If no one will be giving me any alternative means of transport then I'll be asking for a refund or complaining to the Office Of Fair Trading as this issue is not a result of my own fault but rather an incompetence of an authorized Yamaha dealer. I'm not going to lose money by taking time off work just because someone doesn't want to get their ass out of their comfy chair.

Like I said the bike sounds very sick now so if anyone will be disputing the damage all they need to do is ride it for 100 yards. I'm rather cool now with the whole issue for now (as cool as I can be) but if I'll be treated like a nobody then I'll be looking into ways of making the situation more public, if that's the way to put it.

Time will tell though. Maybe Yamaha arrange a loan bike that I can pick up on a Saturday, then at least I only have to waste my day off rather than lose my income...

P.S.
Chris - the noise is not intermittent any more. It's there all the time and very audible so thay's a good thing. I guess...

TT - you did help. I never said you didn't :) It's the big corporations and shitty dealers that are doing my head in.

Last edited:

Cypher

Reaction score
Some news regarding my problems with the dealer...

Been fighting with the system for the last couple weeks and wasn't even in the mood to even come on the forum.

Had a long argument with one of the mechanics last Wednesday, then another one on Thursday about my situation and them not willing to do anything for me. As a result, today I decided to call the owner of the shop and see what he has to say.

The PA put me through to Derek (owner) who eventually turned out to be a nice chap. I asked if he knew anything about my situation but to no surprise he didn't. So I told him my usual story about casings, noises, rejections, etc.

I finish talking and ask - "Is there anything you could do regarding the loan bike?" Without hesitation he says - "Sure, no problem! I can arrange one for you for a week so that I don't have to put pressure on my mechanics and you don't have to rush back!". Just like that. Without saying a single word during my explanation. I honestly thought he was trolling me for a moment there and was waiting for him to say "LOL! JUST KIDDING!" but obviously he didn't and asked me if I wanted him to put me through to the service saying that he's authorising a loan bike free of charge.

The mechanic that I've spoken to before picked up and greeted me. I asked when he wanted me to come in, he said it's a bit too early this week and asked if I wouldn't mind coming in on Saturday, leave my bike and pick up the loan bike.
Of course I f**king wouldn't! That's the only day I actually can come :)

So, as you can see, boys and girls, without talking to someone actually responsible for something, there's not much you can achieve if you're just a paying customer versus a company.
The song changes once you talk to an owner and suddenly "problems" are not problems any more.

Fingers crossed the noise doesn't go away when the Yamaha mechanic is in now :D

P.S.
Apologies for the angry rant I left here a few days ago. I was well pissed off by being treated like a POS but luckily the situation seems to have been rectified.

Last edited:

Stripy

Reaction score
Some news regarding my problems with the dealer...

"Sure, no problem!"

So, as you can see, boys and girls, without talking to someone actually responsible for something, there's not much you can achieve if you're just a paying customer versus a company.
The song changes once you talk to an owner and suddenly "problems" are not problems any more.

Fingers crossed the noise doesn't go away when the Yamaha mechanic is in now :D

P.S.
Apologies for the angry rant I left here a few days ago. I was well pissed off by being treated like a POS but luckily the situation seems to have been rectified.
RESULT!!
Way to go, Cypher :)