Curious, how much I'd get for my bike if I sold it now

Cypher

Reaction score
Yo Cypher, if you get it fixed are you going to keep the bike ?
Absolutely, mate! I love it. What was frustrating me was the absolute inability to do anything. I would have been thinking about selling it IF I couldn't get it fixed.

If I pick it up in a week's time and it's quiet and purring then I couldn't be happier :)

Thanks for you support, guys! Means a lot to me, it really does.

On a side note, I finally managed to film the other weird noise I mentioned once, where it sounds like something is loose. Have a listen:

[video=youtube;xgzZIuTlgLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzZIuTlgLs[/video]

It goes mental around 1 minute mark but I was revving to hear it from the beginning.
What do you think it is? You reckon it could be a loose bolt inside or something similar?

A bit later it disappeared. This video is the bit from Mile End, this sound started around Liverpool Street for those who know London well. Roughly 2-3 miles earlier. I think I had it this morning too, not sure. This isn't the noise I've been complaining about though, this is something that developed in the last few weeks.

Last edited:
M

MT account

is it on the right side? sounds like the clutch release bearing, they all sound really cack but that 1 sounds a lot more noisey

Cypher

Reaction score
is it on the right side? sounds like the clutch release bearing, they all sound really cack but that 1 sounds a lot more noisey
It looks like it is on the right side. Only realised that today. I actually thought that it could be clutch as the sound is similar to when I hold my clutch some 20% in and it goes rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat.

M

MT account

It looks like it is on the right side. Only realised that today. I actually thought that it could be clutch as the sound is similar to when I hold my clutch some 20% in and it goes rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat.
ive not seen whats on the inside of the case but id blame some sort of bearing or release mechanism that the clutch cam pushes against when you pull the clutch in. i can hear it in my bike but its only done 1000miles. if theyre all doing it id blame the design.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
If that's your bike being noisy !

Mine sounds like a glass milk bottle half full of gravel being shaken. Gotta love the cam chain tensioner vibe.

Cypher

Reaction score
If that's your bike being noisy !

Mine sounds like a glass milk bottle half full of gravel being shaken. Gotta love the cam chain tensioner vibe.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I decided to fix it after riding with the camchain noise for almost a 1000 miles :D

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I just hear your video and i regognize only the rattling sound of cct at 0:20, 0:40 and from 1:00 till 1:30, especially when you rev it on low rpm.
If someone had screw the bolt 1/2 the "noise" would be less.
Wait for the replacement and try to rev the engine more than 4.000 rpm to help tensioner not to be loose..

Cypher

Reaction score
I just hear your video and i regognize only the rattling sound of cct at 0:20, 0:40 and from 1:00 till 1:30, especially when you rev it on low rpm.
If someone had screw the bolt 1/2 the "noise" would be less.
Wait for the replacement and try to rev the engine more than 4.000 rpm to help tensioner not to be loose..
I had my camchain tensioner replaced with the revised part long long time ago, mate. This is not that. This is probably clutch or something similar as it's also coming from a different place than the tensioner. It just sounds similar as it's also a rattling noise.

Cypher

Reaction score
Lol! Just got a call from my dealer. He said the Yamaha rep came in on Wednesday, rode my bike for a couple hours right after another one that doesn't have any noises and said it was fine!

Seriously!? Didn't even bother calling me and asking what I'm complaining about, just rode around, probably ignored what was there and did bugger all.

What am I supposed to do now? I guess I have two options:
1) try ProBike in Newbury and pay the guys to do the work as they heard the noise
2) sell the bike and forget about the whole experience

Seriously, seriously thinking of selling it now. Getting tired of this crap. I want a bike that just works. Is it really so much to ask for?...

RipGroove

Reaction score
Lol! Just got a call from my dealer. He said the Yamaha rep came in on Wednesday, rode my bike for a couple hours right after another one that doesn't have any noises and said it was fine!

Seriously!? Didn't even bother calling me and asking what I'm complaining about, just rode around, probably ignored what was there and did bugger all.

1) try ProBike in Newbury and pay the guys to do the work as they heard the noise
2) sell the bike and forget about the whole experience

Seriously, seriously thinking of selling it now. Getting tired of this crap. I want a bike that just works. Is it really so much to ask for?...
Personally I'd pay to get the work done elsewhere, get some photos of whatever is broken/loose etc then put the whole thing in writing to Yamaha with a copy of the bill for having it fixed and tell them they owe you. They will obviously have records now about your bike being looked at and so say being fine so they can't deny it. Technically you've done everything you can to go through the proper Yamaha channels and they have failed you big time. You HAVE to go elsewhere, they've forced you to. At the very least go get somewhere to take the covers off and at least ID what the problem is then show Yamaha.

Last edited:

Cypher

Reaction score
Personally I'd pay to get the work done elsewhere, get some photos of whatever is broken/loose etc then put the whole thing in writing to Yamaha with a copy of the bill for having it fixed and tell them they owe you. They will obviously have records now about your bike being looked at and so say being fine so they can't deny it. Technically you've done everything you can to go through the proper Yamaha channels and they have failed you big time. You HAVE to go elsewhere, they've forced you to.
That's actually not a bad idea, mate!

I sent them an email asking what should I do next. If I should get it fixed by someone else for my own money or, if not, what are the refund options.

Some 20 minutes later he replied with this:
Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that our Technical staff have been to Lamba Motorcycle in relation to your MT-09 and I will be responding to you next week regarding their findings.

In the meantime, please do not make any alternative arrangements.

Many thanks for your continuing patience in this matter.
Leaves me wondering if they found something they don't want to talk about. Or maybe they'll explain what each noise means :D

RipGroove

Reaction score
That's actually not a bad idea, mate!

I sent them an email asking what should I do next. If I should get it fixed by someone else for my own money or, if not, what are the refund options.

Some 20 minutes later he replied with this:

Leaves me wondering if they found something they don't want to talk about. Or maybe they'll explain what each noise means :D
I bet they'll just fob you off in writing, saying the bikes fine. Which tbh works in your favour as when you do find evidence of a problem you'll be able to send their letter back to them with your evidence.

Sent from outer space

Cypher

Reaction score
I bet they'll just fob you off in writing, saying the bikes fine. Which tbh works in your favour as when you do find evidence of a problem you'll be able to send their letter back to them with your evidence.
Probably. Well, we'll see. I'm past the point of caring to be honest. Even my patience is limited. :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1) try ProBike in Newbury and pay the guys to do the work as they heard the noise.
Mate my advise wud be to get pro-bike to do the work under warranty and then get Michael to send Yamaha the findings so they pick up the whole bill.

Simon who is the Rep for this area is fantastic. I showed him my "little bits of rust"! yesterday and he was straight on the phone to warranty telling them ALL the parts that need replacing WILL be replaced by pro-bike and under no circumstances will the customer pay a single penny for the work that's carried out. Oh and I get a loan bike for free lol.

U know pro-bike are good as they picked up the problems everyone else didn't.

MT-09. Wheelie Wheelie Mental

RipGroove

Reaction score
Mate my advise wud be to get pro-bike to do the work under warranty and then get Michael to send Yamaha the findings so they pick up the whole bill.

Simon who is the Rep for this area is fantastic. I showed him my "little bits of rust"! yesterday and he was straight on the phone to warranty telling them ALL the parts that need replacing WILL be replaced by pro-bike and under no circumstances will the customer pay a single penny for the work that's carried out. Oh and I get a loan bike for free lol.

U know pro-bike are good as they picked up the problems everyone else didn't.

Do this.

If I get any problems I think I'm going to ride to Pro Bike!

Sent from outer space

RipGroove

Reaction score
I know my mate owns the dealership but they really are fantastic there.

Seems like we could do with more dealers like that. I still haven't received my warranty letter yet and I bought the bike nearly 3 months ago. Dealer was supposed to be chasing it up for me 2 weeks ago.

Sent from outer space

M

MT account

tis amazing that a big name like yamaha are dragging their heels on an issue with 1 (one) bike when theyre selling 10's of thousands. do they have no concept of internet forums spreading their poor service?
i know the damage 1 complaint can do to a small business but it seems theyre so big it doesnt matter if they piss quite a few people off.....