kev's next mod

RipGroove

Reaction score
Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Not sure if that clamp will work as you need the shock bolt hole as out from the shock centre point as you can get it so you get the leverage.
Ah OK, do you know what yours measures here:

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score
RipGroove 17mm between the arrows from the front of the fork leg to hole centre which works fine, if you going to make your own I would make it 22mm to give the damper slightly more clearance at full left lock.

Full left

Full right.

Shock travel

Excellent, thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone

marksim

Reaction score
RipGroove 17mm between the arrows from the front of the fork leg to hole centre which works fine, if you going to make your own I would make it 22mm to give the damper slightly more clearance at full left lock.

Full left

Full right.

Shock travel

Kev,
just a couple of questions regarding the damper bracket.

You say that 22mm would be better than the 17mm to allow for more movement on the L/H side.
Is there enough room on the bracket to weld the original hole up and then re-drill to nearer 22mm ?

Also rather than filing the fork bracket down to accommodate the steering damper bracket,
would it not be possible to use a spacer therefore lifting the damper up away from the fork bracket ?

Just a couple of thoughts ive had while waiting for them to arrive.
Keep up your good work and enjoy your summer.

marksim

Reaction score
1/ There is enough room on the bracket to weld the hole up & move it outwards but would not go to those extremes just for the extra few mm.

2/ No room for a spacer, the fork bracket is as low as it can go before the fork leg reduces in size, it is 15mm below the triple clamp & this just allows for the damper to clear the triple clamp on full lock left. I will take some photo's tonight for you showing the clearances, at work already 7am here in Oz.
Knew you would of good reason.
Regarding pics,theres no rush mate,it will be ages before they come.
Did send you email though.

lee1980

Reaction score
I must admit after riding with the steering damper for a week I no logger have any head shake under full throttle applications, for such a cheap mod I am really happy with the results, my final setting is +5 hard, the damper can be adjusted from zero = soft to +25 hard, anything over +20 it feels like the steering head bearings have seized up & makes the bike unrideable, +3 to +5 is just about right for me.
Sounds good whilst I am still breaking mine in I can imagine once Im on full power and in the dry, there maybe a head shaking especially at speed over bumpy roads etc.

Do you plan to sell as a kit in different colours? I am sure I could obtain the parts but be nice to know all fit etc and work.

lee1980

Reaction score
I see thanks will have to see how other guys in UK got on sourcing similar parts!

marksim

Reaction score
I see thanks will have to see how other guys in UK got on sourcing similar parts!
Just order the parts from Hong Kong or China,
ive had loads of stuff and never a problem,even have 1 of these dampers on my track R6.
The only problem is if you use the free shipping it can take up to a month but if you email them, for a small charge you can get it alot quicker.
Ive had stuff within the week.
This is some of the stuff ive had over the last few years.
Various levers
Rear sets
steering dampers
Keyless fuel caps
Exhaust hangers
Clip ons
Heated grips
mirror brackets
Clutch adjusters
Indicators
Lights
Full bodywork fairing kits

Ive never had a problem with fitment or quality but know of some that have.Best to check their feedback and if its ok then you shouldnt have a problem
Theres even people on ebay claiming the stuff their selling is Made in UK but its not,theyve just bought aload from China then re- wrapped it and doubled the price.

lv0872

Reaction score
hron relocation

More photo's

Hi Kev,

Did you have to re-locate the horn? Here in US, FZ-09 horn will be right in the way of the steering dumper. So I wonder if you have done anything or MT-09 have horn positioned some other place...

HandmadeGumby

Reaction score
Hey Kev let me know how you go with the ANDREANI cartridge, im stuck between them and the Matris cartridge for about 100 euro more. definitely need one of them :)