Tyre trouble!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Today i visited my "tyre-guy" and i saw the PR4s.. and now i have a dilema... what PR4s i must buy ? there are 2 options: PR4 or PR4GT..
As the "tyre guy" said, the GTs are for heavier bikes but if i like them he will fit them to my MT...
What do you suggest me to fit gentlemen ??

guidow

Reaction score
Today i visited my "tyre-guy" and i saw the PR4s.. and now i have a dilema... what PR4s i must buy ? there are 2 options: PR4 or PR4GT..
As the "tyre guy" said, the GTs are for heavier bikes but if i like them he will fit them to my MT...
What do you suggest me to fit gentlemen ??
I suggest you fit dunlop roadsmart 2's front and rear. The turn in point will be even sharper. The pr4's are really not that good with cornering and speedy things

stevecbr

Reaction score
Go for the normal PR4's, NOT the GT version. The GT stands for Grand Tourer, and as he said are designed for heavy, fully laden touring bikes that need to do big miles.
The MT is a light bike, the same weight as an R6, so I would stick with the normal PR4's (Unless of course your planning on getting topbox and panniers, and taking a pillion with all your camping equiptment around Europe, then the GT's may be more suitable)

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
So, yesterday evening,when it stoped rainning i went down in Athens at the tyre-shop.
The tyre-guy had the PR4 GT's and tried to convince me to fit them.. i told him if he wants me to come back next Monday.. so he send the "boy" to change a pair with another tyre-dealer whose got PR4..
He fitted the tyres and suggests me to ride them easily just to reach enough temperature for break-in.
I did 40 km back to my home in B mode... when i arrived and touch the tires had oily touch... exactly as they had to be.. but they are full of chicken-strips...
They seem "quicker" crown than D214 and stiffer cause now i feel the ground in my palms more than before... this as first impresions.
The best part was the ride to go to the tyreshop... i ride it as never before cause i wanted to ruin as more as i could from the rear tyre...
I stick it on A and.................................... love to start from traffic light 1st gear full throttle, the rear wheel spins and the front come up, change to 2nd trying to press the bike down in full acceleration, the motor groans, when the tarmac is slippery spins -no mercy- rear touch good tarmac front touch the sky.....
For 9696km i was treating the tyres very carefully.. the last of them is was like.....never again!!!
Today is raining..i hope tomorow to go a ride from house to cape Sounion and back (70km to "set" the new tyres..

olivierzx

Reaction score
I'm using the OE bridgestone s20's on my MT. After around 1800 miles the rear was shredded on the edges and almost to the threads in the middle. After putting another s20 on and putting the bouncy rear shock as stiff as possible the new tyre has only lasted around 900 miles. Would a decent shock solve my tyre shredding problems or should I just use different tyres? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
The problem is not your shock, it's your right hand.

Even with the better shock of the market you'll kill your tire like the previous one

Frugaltail

Reaction score
The problem is not your shock, it's your right hand.

Even with the better shock of the market you'll kill your tire like the previous one

Maybe check tyre pressures more regularly too... I normally ruin tyres very quickly and have been very surprised that at 900 miles there is only a slight...slight squaring on the rear... Front looks great! I don't imagine they will do too much past 2k as most of my commute is motorway miles.

I run 36/40 front/rear with the s20 and will either replace the rear with an s20 evolution because I've been happy with them or a set of PR3 or Road ATTACK 2.

Bad shock and poor pressure can play a massive part in tyre wear. What pressure do you run?

Andy

Reaction score
10psi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
38psi rear and 34psi front, ive got the standard shock set on three clicks from full. Seems no one really knows too much yet. Trial and error I suppose.
thanks for all the coments though.

Last edited:

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
Sooner than to late, I've had fitted PR4's front and rear, the back wheel no problem took that one in loose, but I had to ride the bike to the garage to get the front one changed as the front paddock stand I have won't fit the bike, the ABS brackets are in the way, (new thread)
Had a ride out Sunday to Huddersfield auto jumble then home via Holmfirth, Glossop, Snake pass, Matlock Bath, 150 mile trip, tyres held the bike superb.

TIM80

Reaction score
My S20s have just about hit their wear markers after 4000km.I don't commute and mainly blast along my favorite twisties on my days off . I love the grip of the S20s but would prefer more mileage . Has anyone fitted the Dunlop Q3s ? I hear they have similar grip to the S20s but mileage might be better. Any Feedback?

flydnb

Reaction score
I use the Pirelli angel GTS great tyre and after 1800 miles the rear still looks like new, my old dunlops were awful by 1800 miles.

Banksy

Reaction score
I'm running an S20 on the front and a BT-023 rear. No issues with stability and about 5k on the rear with another 1500 to 2k left I reckon.