Dealer ecu flash

Thunder Child

Reaction score
excellent news mate , glad its working, so it does not feel dumbed down when in std and A mode.
Nope - doesn't feel dumbed down to my wrist. I mean, since it's not such a violent transition any more it's easy to think that they've lowered the performance but it's simply just more progressive in that first little bit of twist. Since the update I find myself riding a lot quicker than before :p

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope - doesn't feel dumbed down to my wrist. I mean, since it's not such a violent transition any more it's easy to think that they've lowered the performance but it's simply just more progressive in that first little bit of twist. Since the update I find myself riding a lot quicker than before :p
Well that's gotta be a good thing right?

M

MT account

i know no one listens to me but im betting its just the usa map, i can ride that bike as pissed as i like n its no bother at all in A mode. it would be a different story riding the MT pissed up cos it would spend most of its time diving into hedges and peoples front gardens.........i imagine. i dont ride to pubs in the UK, no sir....not me. i have an evo 9 for that.............

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i know no one listens to me but im betting its just the usa map, i can ride that bike as pissed as i like n its no bother at all in A mode. it would be a different story riding the MT pissed up cos it would spend most of its time diving into hedges and peoples front gardens.........i imagine. i dont ride to pubs in the UK, no sir....not me. i have an evo 9 for that.............
I remember u saying that ur FZ is way slower than ur MT...

Must be a yank thing lol

relz

Reaction score
I see - you didn't want discussions of the official Yamaha modification to undermine interest in /discussions of the non-Yamaha approved flash. Why not just say that rather than close the thread - we could have just opened a new thread.
This forum is so much fun [emoji2] .
On top of the relevant info we have the off-topics, bickering, insults and drunk drivers.
That's what makes it so colorful IMO.

I think the beginning of this thread can officially justify the "flashgate" title [emoji12]

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This forum is so much fun [emoji2] .
On top of the relevant info we have the off-topics, bickering, insults and drunk drivers.
That's what makes it so colorful IMO.

I think the beginning of this thread can officially justify the "flashgate" title [emoji12]
Haha. Spot on fella. Ur rite about "flashgate"! I mite rename it lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still think it's a tie between "Thaigate" and "Gaygate" being the best one so far?!? Lol

I shud do a poll....!

*I'm just kidding of course*

rob5006

Reaction score
The mapping seems to be popular across the board...good reports from Italy, U.S., Netherlands, Australia....and a couple of mechanics and friends over here love the new mapping...no criticism as of yet...will be going to Fleetwood to have mine done on Tues....(Where incidentally I was once posted as a police officer few years ago...lol)

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
As your someone who's ridden an FZ I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the new map, do you have any plans to try it out anywhere at all?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you feel you have established that then your detective ability has let you down. :p

I am not a member of a police force; I have never been a police motorcyclist; but I do confess to, before retirement, having been a motorcycling instructor but at advanced level - never taught learners.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity.:rolleyes:

Do I write as a biking instructor? What part of the police did you believe I was in?
View attachment 2115
Probably due to this post maybe?

rob5006

Reaction score
I could tell by the way you wrote - the clear concise language, the cogent arguments, and the support of your arguments with facts.

That type of behaviour is setting a dangerous precedent :mad:
Lol...you never lose it...!

Chipfatbob

Reaction score
Right - so I actually have this updated Yamaha map on my MT09 and don't care who's a cop...

The bike is in no way dumbed down or slowed down. It simply no longer seems to go from 0% to 20% throttle in the first millimetre of throttle travel. A mode still tries to do loops but no longer tried to buck me if I go over a pothole. STD now jus rides pretty smoothly but with full power. B mode = whatever, it's not rained yet.

I had big trouble with the original map because at 105kg + gear I was finding the suspension bouncing me all over the place and no matter how lightly I held the throttle I was getting lots of inadvertent throttle input which was surging me forward or severely engine braking me and it was extremely unpleasant. But now I have a huge smile the whole time I'm riding to and from work. Haven't had a chance for twisties yet :(
Thanks for the update, Thunder.

It sounds like MT has been on the button with the re-map being based on the FZ mapping. The throttle has been getting too much negative publicity, since launch, and although most of us on this forum have found fixes or learned to manage, it is putting new buyers or those moving up to big bikes, off. Short sighted and lazy of Yamaha and, although I suspect the new Yam re-map will solve these issues for those new to the MT09, I don't like the idea of the update being final. Iv'e just spoken with my dealer and rather than the ECU being 'locked-down', they're telling me the update is irreversible which suggests if you don't like the new map, you'll need a replacement ECU. My dealer has not yet applied the re-map to their demo bikes and are still debating as to whether they will, at all.

I'm still plumbing for the non-Yam flash from 'Simon', as it appears to give me (the customer, not that that matters much, these days!!) more control over the final performance. It might cost me a ton-or-so, but at least I can return to stock if it all goes Pete tong.......

RipGroove

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Thunder.

It sounds like MT has been on the button with the re-map being based on the FZ mapping. The throttle has been getting too much negative publicity, since launch, and although most of us on this forum have found fixes or learned to manage, it is putting new buyers or those moving up to big bikes, off. Short sighted and lazy of Yamaha and, although I suspect the new Yam re-map will solve these issues for those new to the MT09, I don't like the idea of the update being final. Iv'e just spoken with my dealer and rather than the ECU being 'locked-down', they're telling me the update is irreversible which suggests if you don't like the new map, you'll need a replacement ECU. My dealer has not yet applied the re-map to their demo bikes and are still debating as to whether they will, at all.

I'm still plumbing for the non-Yam flash from 'Simon', as it appears to give me (the customer, not that that matters much, these days!!) more control over the final performance. It might cost me a ton-or-so, but at least I can return to stock if it all goes Pete tong.......
I doubt very much Yamaha can lock the ecu, so probably worth trying the genuine map then if you don't like it, go to Simon.

RipGroove

Reaction score
More than likely Yamaha just aren't willing to put your original map back on.

rob5006

Reaction score
More than likely Yamaha just aren't willing to put your original map back on.
I would agree with that....it's only a piece of computer software which will be stored on their database. If customers don't like it then would they really want to revert back to the snatchy throttle mapping...probably not! I have a snatch free throttle thanks to remedies discussed on this site (Many thanks) but what I'm looking for with the new mapping is 'smoothness'. From what I can gather from reports is that the new mapping is just that...smooth and progressive whilst still retaining its rapid acceleration. My advice to dealers is to request the mapping and have it on the demo bike.....can't do with dealers that sit around and wait...and wait...and wait...at the customers frustration and expense...give them a bollocking!

Mtpete

Reaction score
Ok now to a lot of you this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I've read all this thread and some others ( worked my way through the bickering and cat fighting and integrating coppers ) and Yamaha has a re-map for the MT09? I have not heard of this I know my Yamaha dealer very well and he's said nothing about this. How dose it work? Where do you get it? Is it in Australia? I have so many more questions, can any one help?

flydnb

Reaction score
hi pete, yes Yamaha have an official reflash of the ecu, your dealer might not know yet or they haven't released it in oz yet, we are still waiting on the results from people that have had it done.

Mtpete

Reaction score
Don't like to disagree with flydnb but we do already have a comment from 'ThunderChild' in Brisbane Oz. See post #27 above
Alright I'm going on Monday to ask Mr Yamaha dealer about this, it sounds like its worth a look at least. At first I did think the throttle was a bit snatchy but I've gotten used to it now. still I am interested to see what the remap is like. To be honest I think the touchy throttle made me a better rider, you know like more trail braking and better clutch and gas control.