Dealer ecu flash

flydnb

Reaction score
well i test rode a demo bike that had ecu flash and im NOT getting mine done at the moment, i think A mode with flash done is more like std on the original ecu firmware, and to be honest i don't really have a problem with my original ecu settings regarding opening off throttle etc, maybe im odd but i like the aggressive throttle and i felt that the new settings have dumbed down the riding experience for me.

relz

Reaction score
well i test rode a demo bike that had ecu flash and im NOT getting mine done at the moment, i think A mode with flash done is more like std on the original ecu firmware, and to be honest i don't really have a problem with my original ecu settings regarding opening off throttle etc, maybe im odd but i like the aggressive throttle and i felt that the new settings have dumbed down the riding experience for me.
You sure you didn't test ride a mt-07 by accident? ;)

dave69

Reaction score
Just back from raceways in fleetwood after having the yamaha ecu update done and I'm more than happy no nasty surprises coming off roundabout or slow turns.A mode all the way.love this bike even more now.lol

dave69

Reaction score
No it's free of charge.they did say once the ecu is flashed you carnt reverse it.

Last edited:

dave69

Reaction score
Your right there smurf I wouldn't want to go back.same power just smoother delivery.

billygatso

Reaction score
I have just had an email from Tinklers in Norwich. The guy there says pulling away will be like B-MODE! He attached the letter they have received from Yamaha

BACKGROUND:

We have received a small amount of feedback from the market that some MT-09 owners have commented that

the throttle response is too sensitive for their liking, which they perceive as being overly aggressive.

Potentially due to a combination of minor tolerance, a small remap of the ECU has been developed, to offset this.

Any effect will most noticeable in the first quarter of throttle opening and because all three drive modes are linked,

all will be effected.

For all owners who don't currently have any such issue with their MT-09, we would not recommend that the

reprogramming be carried out.

Please note that once carried out, the programming can not be reversed and in any event we can not guarantee

that once done, it will be any more preferable to the rider.

I am now totally undecided:confused: I currently have a G2 fitted and always ride in A-MODE. I find this to be the smoothest of the three maps and doesn't hit you with masses of unwanted engine breaking. With regard to the update I am worried it might turn my MT into my old Fz6.

My Toy

Reaction score
Your last paragraph should make up your mind for you. If you can ride in A mode and find it to be the smoothest then leave the bike as it is. My personal experience was that it was too snatchy in A and I find the remap much better. Try to get a ride on one that has been done that way a direct comparison should give you a definitive answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CT/

Reaction score
I have just had an email from Tinklers in Norwich. The guy there says pulling away will be like B-MODE! He attached the letter they have received from Yamaha

BACKGROUND:

We have received a small amount of feedback from the market that some MT-09 owners have commented that

the throttle response is too sensitive for their liking, which they perceive as being overly aggressive.

Potentially due to a combination of minor tolerance, a small remap of the ECU has been developed, to offset this.

Any effect will most noticeable in the first quarter of throttle opening and because all three drive modes are linked,

all will be effected.

For all owners who don't currently have any such issue with their MT-09, we would not recommend that the

reprogramming be carried out.

Please note that once carried out, the programming can not be reversed and in any event we can not guarantee

that once done, it will be any more preferable to the rider.

I am now totally undecided:confused: I currently have a G2 fitted and always ride in A-MODE. I find this to be the smoothest of the three maps and doesn't hit you with masses of unwanted engine breaking. With regard to the update I am worried it might turn my MT into my old Fz6.
Now that post has got me swede spinning :confused:

billygatso

Reaction score
Sorry for the swede spinning episode. My Toys advice is spot on. The only way to know if it is right for you is to ride one yourself. I remain perfectly balanced on the fence.

MT-Pete

Reaction score
Picked mine up earlier having had the update done and only had a short ride so far. What a difference! The snatch from closed throttle has all but gone, making the bike civilised at slow speeds. Roundabouts are easy to deal with now (had a nasty moment before the update was done accelerating onto one & found myself going far too fast so had to grab a handful of front brake to get round - making me feel very amateurish) & slow speed manoeuvring is good. I had just about learned to live with the on/off throttle, so will need to modify my riding style to get the best from the modified map, but I can't see that as being an issue. It only affects the initial throttle opening so, don't worry people, the bike is still nuts everywhere else!
Incidentally, the update itself only takes about 10 minutes (once the bike's in the workshop & plugged into the laptop), according to the tech who carried out the work. What takes time is downloading the programme from Yamaha. They plug into the diagnostic port & do the update through there, so no need to remove stuff from your bike.

Oh, incidentally, they also replaced the cam chain tensioner at the same time.

Planning on getting out tomorrow for a better ride but I can only see positives from the update - unless you've spent money on PCV & G2's ;)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Picked mine up earlier having had the update done and only had a short ride so far. What a difference! The snatch from closed throttle has all but gone, making the bike civilised at slow speeds. Roundabouts are easy to deal with now (had a nasty moment before the update was done accelerating onto one & found myself going far too fast so had to grab a handful of front brake to get round - making me feel very amateurish) & slow speed manoeuvring is good. I had just about learned to live with the on/off throttle, so will need to modify my riding style to get the best from the modified map, but I can't see that as being an issue. It only affects the initial throttle opening so, don't worry people, the bike is still nuts everywhere else!
Incidentally, the update itself only takes about 10 minutes (once the bike's in the workshop & plugged into the laptop), according to the tech who carried out the work. What takes time is downloading the programme from Yamaha. They plug into the diagnostic port & do the update through there, so no need to remove stuff from your bike.

Oh, incidentally, they also replaced the cam chain tensioner at the same time.

Planning on getting out tomorrow for a better ride but I can only see positives from the update - unless you've spent money on PCV & G2's ;)
Difference is G2's, PCV's and fuel controllers can be added, removed and tweaked giving flexibility. Also PCV's and fuel controllers do quite a bit more than just sort the initial roll on, in fact its generally recommended that a PCV or fuel controller be added whenever an aftermarket exhaust and/or filter is fitted in order to correct the fuelling.

The only real replacement for the above is a tuned ecu flash, but even that would need tweaking and reflashing (at cost) if any further modifications were added to the bike. That said though its still the best one stop solution for the MT.

Last edited:

MT-Pete

Reaction score
Difference is G2's, PCV's and fuel controllers can be added, removed and tweaked giving flexibility. Also PCV's and fuel controllers do quite a bit more than just sort the initial roll on, in fact its generally recommended that a PCV or fuel controller be added whenever an aftermarket exhaust and/or filter is fitted in order to correct the fuelling.

The only real replacement for the above is a tuned ecu flash, but even that would need tweaking and reflashing (at cost) if any further modifications were added to the bike. That said though its still the best one stop solution for the MT.
I couldn't agree with you more mate, but a lot of people on here have been mainly complaining about the initial throttle snatch (hence the G2's), rather than anything else. Once I can afford it, I'm planning on having the ECU flashed again by the bloke TT was talking about (can't be arsed to look back at the threads to find it yet) to remove the restrictions.
I can't afford to, or feel the need for a PCV at the moment. Although the idea of one sounds fantastic, personally the suspension needs sorting before I try to add even more power.