kev's next mod

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
The Matris cartridges for a 100 euro more not seen them for that price, I paid Oz $730.00 landed for mine, so far I like them, I am a big boy 185cm, 205kgs & needed the heavier springs.
God bless you Kev, you are just 25kg overwheighted than the 180kg limit which is the maximum for the non abs bike !
I'm joking of course and i really like your modiffications !

HandmadeGumby

Reaction score

kevxtx

Reaction score
God bless you Kev, you are just 25kg overwheighted than the 180kg limit which is the maximum for the non abs bike !
I'm joking of course and i really like your modiffications !

That is 25kgs of extra muscle not fat.

l34chy

Reaction score
Yes that is seriously bad is it very humid were you live or is that just from cleaning it I only replaced the bolts on my bike on the wheels and brakes
(unsprung weight) that must of cost a few quid to replace all the bolts

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
That's a lot of money on bolts and nuts! Won't stainless steel/inox bolts and nuts do the same job and way cheaper I guess?

FreakyFreak

l34chy

Reaction score
I usually move the Titanium nuts & bolts from bike to bike & refit the OEM bolts back into the bike when I sell them, I reuse the Ti bolts & nuts as they never tarnish, my 1290 has over a grand in Titanium bolts & nuts, the MT will be around $800.00 at the moment with only a few left to do.
Yes that's exactly what I do but not on that scale every bolt on the bike? what about wheel spindles swingarm and linkage bolts I enquired in to them for my R6 and it wasn't as expensive as I thought.
so weight saving is obviously one of your issues?
I was on my mates 1290. so what do you think in comparison to the mt09?
I know brakes and suspension are a massive improvement but performance

l34chy

Reaction score
All the suspension link bolts have been changed to thread Titainium bars with 2 nuts, which is 1/3 of a price of a Ti bolt, I have learnt the tricks in buying cheaper Ti. I have also used tread bar on the long engine mounts.

My 1290 is far from standard with 166 rear wheel HP, (I am back on the Dyno testing in a weeks time with some new mods from the USA looking for more power), the 1290 will eat my 09 for breakfast in any gear or at any speed it's torque over the 09 is mind boggling, that you tube clip made me laugh between the 1290 & 09 roll ons the 1290 must have been in 6th, my 1290 will put a couple of meters on the 09 in a sec & will just keep pulling away & away. My 1290 is same weight as my 09 with 60% more HP & 40% more torque there is no way in hell the 09 will keep up with my 1290 in acceleration. Even with my uprated 09 suspension the 1290 is at another level & you can't compare the brakes & with the electronics the 1290 is so fast out of the corners it puts a smile on my face every time.

Dyno run below both bikes on the same Dyno. KTM 1290 in BLUE, MT09 in RED.

Torque between the bikes, reminder they weigh approx the same, the 1290 has computer aids being able to deliver 100% drive at any speed & the computers will not spin up the rear tyre it will put max drive to the road all the time.

Yeah there impressive readings very nice I wil have to show this dyno chart to my mate piss him off

marksim

Reaction score
As you know Kev, im from the KTM SDR background and thats where i came across you and your modding.
I wanted a 1290 but just couldnt justify £14,000 for a road bike.The MT is half that and for my road riding with mods will do me.
I know the 1290 is a way better bike and loved my 990 SDR,but id rather have a few bikes than one.
I originally went to the KTM because the litre sportsbikes i had had for the last 10yrs were just getting too fast for the road and i didnt want to go to jail.
i got the KTM and then got a 6 month ban should of stayed with the ZX10R.
Superduke Biggest Hooligan bike out there,theres no justice LOL.

marthy

Reaction score
Nice mod Kev. Digging the steering damper location. I got the same and been wondering where to out it. I wasn't sure if the tab on the frame would be strong enough. I guess it is! I need to order the fork clamp and will be installing it soon.

On the airbox. My first test wad to cut off the whole top, was better than stock.

Then I tried this... front opening on each side.

I don't have any pick but I also gut out all the resonance boxes inside. Better mid range... from the butt dyno. That was the airbox mod from my last tune/dyno run...

Last edited:

kevxtx

Reaction score
The frame lug has been fine so far.

Nice one Marty, I did see that a while back when I first posted about the DNA filters being available for the 09 at the beginning of last year, it is a one big opening of an intake.

frerk

Reaction score
Hi Kev,

Did you have to re-locate the horn? Here in US, FZ-09 horn will be right in the way of the steering dumper. So I wonder if you have done anything or MT-09 have horn positioned some other place...
I relocated my horn to the other side. See my attachment. It is clear of the brake lines and the steering damper. You can adjust the angle of the horn bracket to get it closer to the fork and more out of the way. There are little dimples on the bracket to make it lock in to place which will no longer line up but that really doesn't concern me in the least.

The forum can't decide if it wants to flip my picture upside down or not and I'm tired of fighting it.

20150131_131432.jpg

Attachments