Changing the CO settings in the DIAG menu

flipper

Reaction score
I´ve read that the backfire is caused by the air being forced into the exhaust, not that the bike is not correctly tuned.
If you install the blanking plates, you don´t change the fueling at all..
that is correct. it's not a backfire, but a lean pop.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I´ve read that the backfire is caused by the air being forced into the exhaust, not that the bike is not correctly tuned.
If you install the blanking plates, you don´t change the fueling at all..
Yeah I guess fuelling was the wrong way to to describe it really. I just see it as the whole system is not set up correctly when it's popping. I mean, you don't see a lot of bikes on the road or track popping as much as the MT does, it kinda just sounds silly really.

Sent from my iPhone

RipGroove

Reaction score
Also I guess in theory there shouldn't really be any unburnt fuel in the exhaust anyway. If there was no excess fuel there would be no pop.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

PeaceMaker

Reaction score
Chanced mine back to 0..
Didn't noticed any improvement at the 14 setting..

Noticed a better response at low revs as soon as changing it back to 0.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Running mine @ 2.2.2, noticeably smoother on deceleration in traffic and definitely less harsh on cold morning starts for the first couple of miles.

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Also I guess in theory there shouldn't really be any unburnt fuel in the exhaust anyway. If there was no excess fuel there would be no pop.

Sent from my iPhone
There is always some unburned hydrocarbons. This is not so much because of excessive fuelling, it is a result of fuel not fully vaporising at the point of ignition. Fuel only burns as a vapour, not a liquid. We brake the fuel down into fine droplets, so it has a better chance of vaporising by the time the spark fires. When you think how fast this process happens in the engine it is amazing it happens as well as it does.
The engine is amazing in a number of ways. Think how long the intake valve is open for at high revs, then consider what force is used to move the air from outside the engine, into the engine. Apart from the momentum of the moving air, the only other force is atmospheric pressure, at best 14.7psi at see level.

CT/

Reaction score
There is always some unburned hydrocarbons. This is not so much because of excessive fuelling, it is a result of fuel not fully vaporising at the point of ignition. Fuel only burns as a vapour, not a liquid. We brake the fuel down into fine droplets, so it has a better chance of vaporising by the time the spark fires. When you think how fast this process happens in the engine it is amazing it happens as well as it does.
The engine is amazing in a number of ways. Think how long the intake valve is open for at high revs, then consider what force is used to move the air from outside the engine, into the engine. Apart from the momentum of the moving air, the only other force is atmospheric pressure, at best 14.7psi at see level.
What was that ??? :confused:

RipGroove

Reaction score
What was that ??? :confused:
He's saying that the valves are only open for an extremely short time and that the fuel has to enter the chamber and vaporise very quickly so more often than not it won't all vaporise and burn so you'll always end up with some unburnt fuel down in the exhaust.

That right?

Sent from my iPhone

Mat Still

Reaction score
Had a play with mine today, as expected they were all set to 0. so changed them all to 6 seeing as its a standard bike. Has anyone out them higher, I see that a few people have them at 14, but are these running non standard exhausts?

Obviously, this is only till I get the Abs remap and termignoni ;)

RBC

Reaction score
I liked it at 10 with the stock system, 14 wasn't so good.
Had a play with mine today, as expected they were all set to 0. so changed them all to 6 seeing as its a standard bike. Has anyone out them higher, I see that a few people have them at 14, but are these running non standard exhausts?

Obviously, this is only till I get the Abs remap and termignoni ;)
Seems like I, as a stock owner, will end-up somewhere between 6 and 10, inclusive.

I also have Kev's mod on but apparently even [MENTION=161]kevxtx[/MENTION] seems to believe in throttle tamers and playing with in-dash CO settings for even finer tunes:
What mods are on your bike, STD 14 flash or 2015 flash? Where is your CO?
I would be doing my throttle cam mod or fit a new throttle cam if you are battling with the throttle.
http://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/for...5-kevs-anti-throttle-surge-mod-post30234.html

Kinjane

Reaction score
I believe kevtxt was going to test what the difference various CO settings would make, hopefully coming up with a proven optimum.

loneranger

Reaction score
whilst on fuel mix, what do you guys use when fuelling up. Standard unleaded or super? Does it make ay difference particularly as everyone is talking such detail about co settings? i get my bike next week with akra fitted. So will probably check with dealer what they think about co settings first and then try at zero and then 14.

Frugaltail

Reaction score
Hi guys I couldn't not reply to some of the minor in accuracy on this thread but I think It may clear somethings up. (as a background I strip and rebuild aircraft engines so I have a loose idea of how motorcycle engines work, although not perfect)

1) E10 is standard UK fuel, you can't smell ethanol it is odorless E15 is the new standard the government are pushing for in 2018. That will be bad, aircraft fuel (Av gas) smells different because it is effectively 4 star.

2) CO settings only have an effect on the fueling (by making it slightly...very slightly richer) as you accelerate, on steady throttle the ecu looks for oxygen count in the lambda sensor. - the difference is almost not measurable because of the effect of the cat. I did a mox test at the hanger and it couldn't notice any difference unless revving the engine aggressively even then it was not worth bothering with.

3) popping and rumbling is from lean fuel air ratio, you don't get this on race bikes because...... They don't need to run lean! 11mpg would be fine on track but not on road. There is no unburnt fuel showing on triples dyno reading it's showing its running too lean at low Rpm probably to increase millage. Ideally it would be good to see a perfectly flat air fuel mix x, that is how we tune our engines (except they run exceptionally rich) further to this hot palladium (catalytic converter) exchanges oxygen atoms with hydrogen atoms to turn all emissions into Co2 rather then Co, and h2o therfore you by design can't have unburnt fuel reaching the Muffler. Popping is good but a symptom of leaning out, Usually on the over run.

Hope that dispels some.some myths

Frugaltail

Reaction score
Also forgot to say, super unleaded or standard won't make much difference as the bike will adjust, the only choice you really get to make Is what detergents your putting into the tank with your fuel. Each have their preferences but I just buy from the busiest places as they don't have fuel sat going off for weeks. (unleaded is trash after a month) I use either shell or our local tesco because that is easy fuel produced in grangemouth and sold very quickly so you can be sure it's fresh.

sigtrm

Reaction score
Hi guys I couldn't not reply to some of the minor in accuracy on this thread but I think It may clear somethings up. (as a background I strip and rebuild aircraft engines so I have a loose idea of how motorcycle engines work, although not perfect)

1) E10 is standard UK fuel, you can't smell ethanol it is odorless E15 is the new standard the government are pushing for in 2018. That will be bad, aircraft fuel (Av gas) smells different because it is effectively 4 star.

2) CO settings only have an effect on the fueling (by making it slightly...very slightly richer) as you accelerate, on steady throttle the ecu looks for oxygen count in the lambda sensor. - the difference is almost not measurable because of the effect of the cat. I did a mox test at the hanger and it couldn't notice any difference unless revving the engine aggressively even then it was not worth bothering with.

3) popping and rumbling is from lean fuel air ratio, you don't get this on race bikes because...... They don't need to run lean! 11mpg would be fine on track but not on road. There is no unburnt fuel showing on triples dyno reading it's showing its running too lean at low Rpm probably to increase millage. Ideally it would be good to see a perfectly flat air fuel mix x, that is how we tune our engines (except they run exceptionally rich) further to this hot palladium (catalytic converter) exchanges oxygen atoms with hydrogen atoms to turn all emissions into Co2 rather then Co, and h2o therfore you by design can't have unburnt fuel reaching the Muffler. Popping is good but a symptom of leaning out, Usually on the over run.

Hope that dispels some.some myths

Lies, I can smell ethanol from miles away, sniff sniff ... Two liters in my fridge, for sure it is not odorless, for the sake of science I will check if it is not tasteless, will report tomorrow my findings.