G2 Throttle Tamer Info & Review

Soldiers. At ease!

I didn't realise there are military folk around here.

Or do you just watch too many films? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Soldiers. At ease!

I didn't realise there are military folk around here.

Or do you just watch too many films? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Personally I play too much Battlefield 4

Sent from outer space

OK, Mr. RipGroove, after your're aggressive marketing ;-) I'm seriously considering buying one of these. And I just happen to have a friend in the States next week...
I've still got a few questions, if I may.

I noticed that they indeed added the FZ-09 model to their website, so I guess that's a thumbs up to you.

Would you happen to know the exact model number (not just motorcycle model) of the throttle tamer?
The reason I'm asking is that I saw a few of them advertised on Ebay and Amazon, for a cheaper price. e.g. this, this and this. These are probably for different models of motorcycles, or last years batch etc. Some of them have a Y400 printed on them, like yours, while others don't. If I know the exact model, perhaps I can pick up one of them for around 20$ cheaper, than listed on the G2 site.

You mentioned the CO setting to 14, which I've tried too and didn't like to much for various reasons.
I didn't understand from you're post if the improved handling that you have now is the CO14 + the G2, or only the G2.

Not that it matters much... but how is 'B' mode now with the G2, Is it super sluggish to get up to speed, or is it still reasonable?
Because reading your review it sounds like the G2 tamer makes the first part of the throttle twist to behave similar to the 'B' mode, i.e. it's smooth and require a longer twist to get up to power.

Thanks for the write up and for volunteering to be our guinea pig :)

BTW I'm still considering picking up an OEM Yamaha throttle for the odd 25$ and cutting it down to imitate the G2, like you did previously. It will sure save quite a bit of money.

The part number I received was # 40-4Y-136Y but G2 use different part numbers for different bikes even though some of the throttles are exactly the same, they do this so they know which models are selling well. So other part numbers will fit, what those other part numbers are though is anyones guess. I do know that any part numbers for the following models will fit FZ1 01-12, FZ6 04-12 and FZ8 11-12.

My C0 is still set to 14, I set that before fitting the G2 and have left it like it since so I've not tried the combination of G2 and C0 set to zero yet.

TBH B-Mode and STD-Mode don't feel much different, again all the G2 does is smooth out the first part so although technically those modes have been smoothed out even more than stock it doesn't really feel that different to me. Basically all 3 modes feel the same as stock but with added controllability if that makes sense. All I know is, I now ride in A-Mode all the time whereas before I'd be flicking between them all the time.

Regarding modding your own throttle, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Last edited:
The part number I received was # 40-4Y-136Y but G2 use different part numbers for different bikes even though some of the throttles are exactly the same
I think I'll contact G2 about the model numbers, if I can find a 55$ one on Amazon I might go with it.

My C0 is still set to 14, I set that before fitting the G2 and have left it like it since so I've not tried the combination of G2 and C0 set to zero yet.
That's the answer I was hoping not to hear. :-(

I rode around with CO set to 14 for a while, and with that setting I hardly felt any snachiness, it smoothed it all out... But I didn't like the rich mixture, which was a bit less responsive than regular.
So it seems that we don't know if the G2 alone will solve the snatchy issue, and it's a bit of a high price to pay just for testing.
I think the uncertainty justifies buying one of the cheaper options, i.e. either modding an OEM throttle, or buying one of those Amazon ones for a more reasonable price.

Regarding modding your own throttle, I'll send you a PM shortly.
Thanks. I'll reply with a PM in a couple of minutes.

I think I'll contact G2 about the model numbers, if I can find a 55$ one on Amazon I might go with it.

That's the answer I was hoping not to hear. :-(

I rode around with CO set to 14 for a while, and with that setting I hardly felt any snachiness, it smoothed it all out... But I didn't like the rich mixture, which was a bit less responsive than regular.
So it seems that we don't know if the G2 alone will solve the snatchy issue, and it's a bit of a high price to pay just for testing.
I think the uncertainty justifies buying one of the cheaper options, i.e. either modding an OEM throttle, or buying one of those Amazon ones for a more reasonable price.

Thanks. I'll reply with a PM in a couple of minutes.

Well my bike was still very snatchy and jerky even with the C0 set to 14 so the G2 has done all the smoothing out. If I can remember how to set it back to zero I'll do it Saturday and let you know how it is.

Sent from outer space

Well my bike was still very snatchy and jerky even with the C0 set to 14 so the G2 has done all the smoothing out. If I can remember how to set it back to zero I'll do it Saturday and let you know how it is.

Sent from outer space

I'll have to make up my mind fast, as my buddy is in the US only for next week, so if I'm going to buy something I better do it today. I think I'll go ahead either with an OEM one or an Amazon one (if I can verify that it's the correct model).

Either way, if you want to play with your settings, it's easy. I've done it a few times.

You hold setup+reset while turning on the switch, and keep them held for about 5 seconds, until you see diag on the screen.

From now on, setup or reset are equivalent to +/- (or up/down) in the menus.
setup+reset for aprox 2 seconds is equivalent to select in the menus.

So from the diag screen, pressing +/- toggles between the diag/C0 menu.
Press setup+reset for two seconds to select the C0 settings.
and again +/- to set each cylinder, setup+reset to select or set it.

I'll have to make up my mind fast, as my buddy is in the US only for next week, so if I'm going to buy something I better do it today. I think I'll go ahead either with an OEM one or an Amazon one (if I can verify that it's the correct model).

Either way, if you want to play with your settings, it's easy. I've done it a few times.

You hold setup+reset while turning on the switch, and keep them held for about 5 seconds, until you see diag on the screen.

From now on, setup or reset are equivalent to +/- (or up/down) in the menus.
setup+reset for aprox 2 seconds is equivalent to select in the menus.

So from the diag screen, pressing +/- toggles between the diag/C0 menu.
Press setup+reset for two seconds to select the C0 settings.
and again +/- to set each cylinder, setup+reset to select or set it.

Awesome thanks, I will do that but the bike isn't currently stored at home (in the middle of a house move) so I can't do it until Saturday.

Sent from outer space

I know... I'm impatient... I just went ahead and pulled the trigger.
I actually sent an email to G2, and got a very helpful response pretty quickly. Here's a copy of my email followed by theirs, in case anyone else is interested:

Hi,

After reading many good reviews, including that of a friend from the MT-09 forum, who recently bought one I'm seriously considering buying the throttle tamer for my MT-09.

I saw that you recently added the FZ-09 model to you list, and that's great.

I realize that the same throttle tamer (same tube + 400 cam) is good for various motorcycles.
I was wondering if you could share the exact part number with me, not just the motorcycle model. The reason I'm asking is because I saw a few of your products advertised on Ebay and Amazon, for a slightly cheaper price. They are probably last years model or whatever, but that's fine with me.

The problem is that I find it hard to identify which one will fit my MT-09.
For example I saw these advertised on Amazon: this, this and this.

Is it safe to say that any G2 Throttle Tamer with Y400 stamped on it is the same as the MT-09 one?

Thanks,

Hi,
To be honest, the applications on Amazon are screwed up. All those “dealers” have nothing in stock and put in orders to us or Parts Unlimited after taking your money. The ONLY dealer that stocks our entire line is Rutmonkey - Dirt Cheap Moto Parts, and they are usually the least expensive.

I can’t tell you how often we get returns sent to us after Amazon dealers ship wrong products. Of the links you emailed only this one appears to be the correct part (Amazon.com: G2 Ergonomics Tamer Throttle Tube 40-4Y-136-Y: Automotive) , but it’s showing a non-delrin bushing tube from 5 years ago.

Thanks,
Gary

So I checked the Rutmonkey website, and picked up brand new G2 Throttle Tamer for 20% discount :D, not bad!

Thumbs up to G2 for their prompt and helpful email.

I know... I'm impatient... I just went ahead and pulled the trigger.
I actually sent an email to G2, and got a very helpful response pretty quickly. Here's a copy of my email followed by theirs, in case anyone else is interested:

So I checked the Rutmonkey website, and picked up brand new G2 Throttle Tamer for 20% discount :D, not bad!

Thumbs up to G2 for their prompt and helpful email.

Awesome! :)

Sent from outer space

Or get rid of the wife :)
LOL that will work out allot cheaper.

Yesterday my wife and daughter had a fun day at the shopping mall.
The first thing she said when I came in the door was "you won't believe how much money we saved today!"
They bought a shitload of stuff, but apparently some of it was on discount....

Top marks to RipGroove just fitted my throttle tamer and wow what a difference may as well take off standard and B mode. Many thanks for your info.

So far no negative reviews with the G2 on the MT/FZ then :)

It is deffo an odd one to explain, you need to try it to make you understand that it doesn't dampen the overall feel of the bike. I don't feel like I've lost any power, torque or acceleration. Everything is now just more controllable.

Sent from outer space

Back